Welcome to Whitworld!
Whitworld seeks to connect international and newcomer families with the Whitman community in a friendly environment, offering orientation and assistance in getting settled in the Bethesda area. Whitworld members and the school administration share the vision that International families, that represent one third of parents at Whitman, are a valuable resource and their dynamic involvement in school activities is an extraordinary opportunity for cultural enrichment and exchange. Whitworld is an experience of new friendships that lasts beyond the years our children attend Whitman High School and keep us connected around the world.
The Walt Whitman Whitworld Committee (“Whitworld”) was started in 2009 under the enthusiastic and able leadership of Gloria Olimpio, Kim Weichel and Vicky Strella. It is a parent volunteer Whitman PTSA supported activity that provides a forum to address issues relevant to the parents and families of Whitman’s international community and connects international and American Whitman families through social and cultural activities.
Whitworld offers a wide variety of social and cultural activities for both international and American Whitman parents including:
- Book Club (in English) that focuses on both American as well as international authors.
- Cooking classes led by members that showcase the diverse and delicious cuisines of Whitworld participants.
- Introduction to Language and Culture program that provides a brief introduction to the various languages and cultures represented by Whitworld members.
- International Night – An annual celebration of Whitman’s global diversity with a sampling of international cuisines followed by student performances representing cultures from around the world.
Resources for Students with Accomodations
- Visits to art museums and galleries. Through Whitworld’s diverse and well-connected members, participants enjoy access to unique cultural opportunities.
2018 - 2019 Whitworld Leadership
Culture and Language
Book club coordinator:
For Whitworld updates, resources and questions you can find us on Facebook: