What is STEM?
Education is an
approach to teaching and learning that integrates the content and skills of the
STEM disciplines (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) and other disciplines
to answer complex questions, investigate global issues, and solve real world
problems and challenges.
Upcoming Events at RM
April 25-27: It's almost here!!!!!
Don’t miss the largest science festival in the United States! The 3rd USA Science & Engineering Festival 2-day Grand Finale Expo at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center, Washington D.C. Saturday and Sunday, April 26 & 27, 2014. Sneak Peek Friday - Friday, April 25, 2014. The link to the website is: www.usasciencefestival.org
What is the universe made of? Why did dinosaurs go extinct? What do magic tricks and hip-hop have to with math? What will be the next medical breakthrough? What do fossils and rocks tell us about the Earth’s secrets? What does baseball have to do with physics? Find out at the 3rd USA Science & Engineering Festival Expo on April 26-27, 2014! Explore science& engineering with 3,000+ free, hands-on activities and over 50 stage shows. The two-day Expo is perfect for teens, children and their families, and anyone with a curious mind who is looking for a weekend of fun and discovery. Meet Science Celebrities, award-winning Science Authors and Nobel Prize winners from the past and present. The Expo also features a Career Pavilion for high-school students, a Book Fair, and a Kid’s Corner for young children! Sneak Peek Friday will be open for schools to get a “Sneak Peek” into the Expo on Friday, April 25 and first ever X-STEM Extreme STEM Symposium, a TED-style event for kids, will be held on Thursday, April 24. The Festival is a collaboration of more than 750 of the nation’s leading STEM organizations. For more information on all Festival events and how you can get involved, visit the website!
STEM in the Classroom
See what STEM activities are going on in some of our science and technology classrooms. Click here: RM Classroom
Summer STEM Opportunities and more!
Every summer, RM students continue their STEM education with jobs, internships, volunteer positions, camps, classes and conferences! Check out 2 lists of who's done what in the Summer of 2013! Click on either of these: Jobs/Internships Camps/Classes/Conferences
Summer 2014 Opportunities:
- SEAP (Science and Engineering Apprenticeship Program) - Deadline Jan 6, 2014. https://seap.asee.org/
- NASA Summer Internships - Deadline March 1, 2014 https://intern.nasa.gov/ossi/
- NIST Summer Internships - Deadline Feb 1, 2014 http://www.nist.gov/hrmd/staffing/ship.cfm
Spring 2014 Events:
1. WIE DREAM Conference at UMd - The Women in Engineering (WIE) Program at the University of Maryland is excited to host its 6th annual WIE DREAM Conference! Our mission is to recruit, retain and advance women in engineering and this conference provides a forum to reach out to students and share the wonderful innovations, applications and opportunities engineering has to offer. Saturday, March 1, 2014 9:00 am - 2:30 pm http://www.wie.umd.edu/k12/dream-conference
2. Rockville Science Day -Over 75 science exhibits at Montgomery College! Sunday April 6 12 - 5pm http://www.rockvillescience.org/rcsday.html
STEM-centric Clubs at RM
Astronomy Club - Focus on astronomy, particle physics, pulsars, exo-planets and other space related events and activities. Meets at lunch on Wednesdays and after school on Fridays in Room 361. Sponsor: Mr Martz
BioOlympiad (Medical Careers/University of Toronto Biology Competition) - Meets at lunch on Wednesdays in Room 346. Sponsor: Ms. Ghent-Paolucci
Science Club - Promotes interest in science within RM through organizing team based competitions (Final Frontiers, Envirothon and Ocean Bowl) and meetings involving fun, hands-on science activities. Meets at lunch on Thursdays in Room 342 as needed. Sponsor: Mrs. O'Donohue
KAST (Kids are Scientists Too) - Students visit local elementary schools to lead after school science activities. Students can earn SSL hours. Meets at lunch periodically in Room 361. Sponsor: Mr Goetz
X STEM Club (USA Science and Engineering) - Sponsor: Mr Goetz, Room 361
Math Team - Sponsor: Mr. Davis, Room 314
Befriend Nature Club - Organizes high school teens to help in the effort of saving endangered wild animals in need, as well as raise awareness of the importance of wildlife diversity and the conservation of habitats such as the rainforests, and fight cruel animal practices like poaching through informational and volunteering events. Meets Tuesdays as needed in room 342. Sponsor: Mrs. O'Donohue
- Northrop Grumman Engineering Scholars - $10,000 college scholarship for engineering major. One scholarship per Maryland county! Deadline March 31, 2014.
- Chesapeake Bay Trust - This award provides a
to a high school or college student who has shown an outstanding commitment to
environmental stewardship and community involvement.
- Seimens Competition - Deadline approx Sept 30, 2014.
- Intel Science Talent Search - Deadline Nov 13, 2013.
Fun STEM Links
Smarter Every Day: http://www.youtube.com/user/destinws2
Minute Physics: http://www.youtube.com/user/minutephysics
Slow Mo Guys: http://www.youtube.com/user/theslowmoguys
Vi Hart (math videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/Vihart
Mr. Chase's Math Blog: http://mrchasemath.wordpress.com/ (yes that's Mr. Chase, RM Math Teacher Extraordinaire!)