RMS COUNSELING BELIEFS:
- All students deserve a physically and emotional safe school environment surrounded by caring adults who respect and acknowledge their individuality and support their personal growth to meet their potential.
- School counselors respect self, others, and the school by adhering to the moral and ethical standards outlined by ASCA.
- All students can achieve at high standards that will result in college and career readiness.
- School counselors should be leaders, collaborators, and advocates who create equitable opportunities for all students to access rigorous curriculum. They support opportunities for self-directed personal, social, and academic growth for every student.
- We will use data to drive program development and evaluation to identify those students that are under achieving or are under served by the school counseling program.
- Student achievement is maximized by participation in a comprehensive school counseling program that is planned, managed, delivered, and evaluated by certified school counselors.
RMS COUNSELING DEPARTMENT MISSION:
As professional school counselors, we are leaders who advocate, collaborate, facilitate and evaluate individual and system change to ensure every student has access to the knowledge and skills necessary for academic, social and emotional growth. The mission of counselors in Redland Middle School is to involve all students in the development of their learning, career, and personal/social attributes in order to become responsible and productive individuals. Counselors develop and implement a Comprehensive Developmental Counseling Program that:
- Supports students' accomplishment of instructional standards;
- Coordinates the efforts of students, parents, school staff, community, and business partners;
- Attends to the needs, interests, and issues related to each stage of student development and learning;
- Incorporates a variety of preventive and instructional strategies;
- Facilitates students' transition through these diverse developmental and learning stages
RMS COUNSELING DEPARTMENT VISION:
All students participate in rigorous curriculum and high-quality opportunities for self-directed personal growth supported by the comprehensive school counseling program that facilitates strategic partnerships between the school, family, and community. As successful, life-long learners and productive citizens, our students achieve their fullest potential, making a positive difference in our school and community.
Communication: Counselors will communicate key messages and clear expectations to create a culture of enhanced communication, positive relationships, and responsible behavior. Our goals and actions will be communicated to all stakeholders through the Bulldog Blast, school website, TPP meetings, monthly PTA meetings, CSST meetings, school-wide programs, daily student outreach and more.
Cluster Mindfulness Initiative
Magruder Cluster is implementing a Mindfulness Initiative amongst all it’s
schools. The purpose of this is to provide students with positive calming
strategies to help improve problem-solving skills and mental health. The
Mindfulness Initiative includes breathing exercises, positive self-talk, and
some light yoga/stretching. There will be a Parent Information Night on
December 4th to provide background information and model
strategies. Before opting your child out, please consider contacting your
child’s counselor at (240) 740-0910 to help address any concerns.
you would like your child to opt out of this initiative, please complete this
All requests for transcripts must:
- be hand-delivered by a parent/guardian directly to the counseling office
- be accompanied by a pre-addressed envelope with adequate postage
- have proper information completed by the parent on any school-specific request forms
- be delivered at such a date as to allow a minimum of 10 days processing time prior to due date
Here is the form for your convenience: Transcript Request Form.pdf