Professional School Counselor
Mrs. Jenny Fleming
I am so honored and excited to join the Burning Tree ES community!
You can reach me at Jennifer_L_Fleming@mcpsmd.org.
Check out the services I provide for Burning Tree ES students and families by reviewing my counseling brochure.
Meeting with the Counselor
If a student met with me they receive a follow-up "School Counseling Notice".
If you ever receive a notice that I met with your child and/or have questions about my work with students, please feel free to contact me! I do have a private voicemail, we have AMAZING secretaries who will pass on messages or feel free to email.
Students may be invited to a "Lunch Bunch". There are also opportunities for students to sign-up for a lunch bunch "just because". If invited to a "Lunch Bunch" students will receive a note card with the date of their lunch, my signature, and I pick them up from the cafeteria. A "Lunch Bunch" is an informal gathering for a variety of purposes: to get to know a student/students better, to boost self esteem/confidence, to problem solve, and to foster a positive, inclusive school environment. Feel free to contact me if you have additional questions.
If your child is invited to a small lunch bunch group, we will meet approximately once a week. Each time I meet with your child they have the opportunity to earn Class dojo points. If your child participates in a consistent small group, you will receive additional info about how to access our weekly agendas and your child's Dojo Report.
- FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions about the things related to school counseling
- Collaborative for Academic, Social, Emotional, Learning (C.A.S.E.L.)'s Top 10 Tips at Home
- American School Counseling Association's (ASCA) Description and Explanation of Elementary School Counselors
- Play Therapy - A counseling approach which is a great, appropriate developmental match for elementary students. Here is why.
- Bullying E-Book by Casey and Bella
- Whole Child - An incredible wealth of information about recognition of the child as a whole (social, emotional, academic...)
- Children's Safety is of paramount importance. As employees of MCPS, every staff member is a mandated reporter of Child Protective Services concerns. Check out these tips for pointers on how you can talk with your child and help them stay safe.
- Mental Health Association, Montgomery County - MoCo's M.H.A. full of a variety of amazing trainings, programs and information.
- Crisis Support
- Youth Suicide Support - A website specifically for youth/young adults created by the National Suicide organization
- Children’s Mental Health Awareness Week is May 1 – 7 in Maryland! Each year, the statewide Children’s Mental Health Matters (CMHM) Campaign connects Maryland families with the mental health resources. For more information, please visit www.ChildrensMentalHealthMatters.org.
- Anxiety is one of the most commonly diagnosed 'disorders' today.
- Check out some parenting tips for supporting anxious children.
- Here is a parent presentation some local school counselors put together about anxiety.
- Parent Academy - Educational seminars and information to support parenting skills and knowledge
- Family and Community - Tons of great resources for all of the families and communities in MCPS
- Parent Support - Links and information specifically related to parents of MCPS students
- Collection of Resources - A list I completed of different resources that may benefit you and your child
- InfoMontgomery - Several important websites about resources in our county all organized in one easily accessible page
- Military Family Support- Lots of resources for military families
Activities @ Burning Tree with the Counselor: