Board of Education Evening Business Meeting
June 25, 2012
Watch Meeting by Agenda Item
Full Agenda (PDF)
- Acknowledgement of a Quorum
- Approval of the Agenda
- Public Comments
- Board/Superintendent Comments
- Consent items
The Board also took action on several other items:
- Passed a resolution recognizing Vietnamese scholars honored by the Maryland Vietnamese Mutual Association.
- Formally accepted the modernization project at Cannon Road Elementary School, the addition project at Montgomery Knolls Elementary Schools, and the improvements project at Redland Middle School.
- Set tuition for non-resident students for the FY 2012-2013 school year at $14,181 for elementary school students (including kindergarten) and $13,805 for secondary school students.
- Human Resources and Development Appointments
The Board of Education made the following administrative appointments:
- Teri A. Bell, currently instructional specialist, Physical Disabilities Program, as coordinator, Montgomery County Infants and Toddlers Program, Office of Special Education and Student Services
- Lisa M. Pretzello, currently special education elementary program specialist, Montgomery County Infants and Toddlers Program, as coordinator, Montgomery County Infants and Toddlers Program, Office of Special Education and Student Services
- Scott T. Curry, currently principal intern, Sequoyah Elementary School, as principal, Great Seneca Creek Elementary School
- Tamitha F. Campbell, currently assistant principal, Albert Einstein High School, as principal, Briggs Chaney Middle School
- Core Values Discussion
The Board’s Strategic Planning Committee has begun defining the process for revising the school district’s strategic plan, Our Call to Action: Pursuit of Excellence. The Board committee felt it would be helpful to have some external guidance in discussing possible revisions to the Board’s guiding tenants. A senior vice president from UnitedHealthcare joined the Board to discuss his company’s process of revising its core values. Read the Board memo
- Final Approval of Policy CNA, Informational Materials and Announcements
The Board of Education approved changes to Board Policy CNA, Informational Materials and Announcements, which guides the distribution of flyers and informational materials to students and to families through take-home folders, backpacks or similar methods.
The Board preliminarily approved the changes on April 30 and asked for public comments. Twenty-five comments were received from the public. Under the approved changes, non-profit organizations will be allowed to distribute such printed materials in elementary schools no more than once during each marking period.
However, such distribution will no longer be allowed in secondary schools. Printed materials from Montgomery County Public Schools (MCPS), government entities and parent-teacher associations can be sent home with students at any time during the school year, at all grade levels. Read the Board item and public comments
- Board of Education Items
This meeting is streamed in Windows Media format.
Get Windows Media
How to Watch by Agenda Item
Internet Explorer: Click on an agenda item to go to that segment of the video.
- Click on agenda item
- Click on "Watch Now" button to view video of that item (Internet Explorer only)
- Summary will appear if available
- To hide summary, click agenda item again
Firefox/Opera: Right click on the video player, select file markers, and then choose
the segment you want to watch.
Mac Users: In stand-alone player, select view, file markers, and choose the segment you want to watch.
Technical problems: Contact Webmaster
Feedback: Tell us what you think