Board of Education Evening Business Meeting
May 21, 2012
Watch Meeting by Agenda Item
Full Agenda (PDF)
- Acknowledgement of a Quorum
- Approval of the Agenda
The Board of Education recognized the recipients of the 2012 Montgomery County Public Schools Counselor of the Year Award. The School Counselor of the Year Award highlights the many important contributions of school counselors and the essential role they play in the social, emotional, and educational development of students. One counselor from each school level is selected for the award. The 2012 awardees are:
- Mrs. Deborah L. Danielson, counselor, Sargent Shriver Elementary School
- Mrs. Ellen P. Fellows, resource counselor, Rosa Parks Middle School
- Mrs. Theresa M. Dethlefsen, resource counselor, Northwest High School
The Board of Education approved the following resolutions:
- A resolution recognizing the 2012 Champions for Children Award recipients
- A resolution acknowledging the Asian American Education Association Scholarship Recipients
- A resolution recognizing MCPS higher education partners and graduates
- Public Comments
- Board/Superintendent Comments
- Consent items
- Human Resources and Development
The Board of Education approved the following administrative appointments:
- Kimberly A. Statham, currently principal, Wheaton Woods Elementary School, as deputy superintendent of teaching, learning, and programs
- Deborah C. Ryan, currently principal intern, Oakland Terrace Elementary School, as principal, Rosemary Hills Elementary School
- Gay E. Melnick, currently principal intern, Cloverly Elementary School, as principal, Flower Valley Elementary School
- Nina Y. Khouri, currently acting coordinator, Division of ESOL/Bilingual Programs, as coordinator, Division of ESOL/Bilingual Programs.
- MSDE Technology Credit
The Board discussed the current Maryland State Department of Education technology education credit graduation requirement and the challenges it has presented for MCPS students. Effective with the class of 2012, all Maryland high school students must earn one credit in technology education in order to graduate. There are only four courses currently offered in MCPS that fulfill the technology education credit: Foundations of Technology, Introduction to Engineering Design, Principles of Engineering, and Designing Technology Solutions.
Members of the Board of Education have been contacted by students and members of the community who feel the requirement is too narrow and focuses only on International Technology and Engineering Education, and may have a negative effect on students who desire to pursue computer science study and/or other technology related coursework.
The Board also expressed concern over the inflexibility of the requirement, and committed to pursuing multiple avenues of advocacy including appealing to the Maryland State Board of Education to expand the definition of technology education and the selection of courses offered to fulfill the requirement. Read the Board Memo.
- Board of Education Items
This meeting is streamed in Windows Media format.
Get Windows Media
How to Watch by Agenda Item
Internet Explorer: Click on an agenda item to go to that segment of the video.
- Click on agenda item
- Click on "Watch Now" button to view video of that item (Internet Explorer only)
- Summary will appear if available
- To hide summary, click agenda item again
Firefox/Opera: Right click on the video player, select file markers, and then choose
the segment you want to watch.
Mac Users: In stand-alone player, select view, file markers, and choose the segment you want to watch.
Technical problems: Contact Webmaster
Feedback: Tell us what you think