All activities must be:
- Performed through a non-profit organization or MCPS school with the exception of for-profit nursing homes and some government agencies. (Unlike a business, a non-profit organization’s primary goal is something other than earning a profit.)
- Performed no more than 8 hours a day, 40 hours a week.
- Secular (non-religious), however, religious organizations can sponsor SSL activities that address a need in the greater community. (Check with the SSL Coordinator if you have questions.)
- Completed outside a student’s scheduled school hours with the exception of credit earned through certain courses.
- Done in a public place, not a private home.
- Supervised by someone other than a member of the student’s family.
- Done with approved organizations and documented using a reporting form (called the Student Service Learning Activity Verification form) that shows “preparation, action, and reflection” about the activity.
One service learning hour is awarded for one hour of service. There is, however, a limit of 10 total hours awarded per semester as a student aide.