The daily details of life at Westbrook ES:
8:15: Office opens - Teachers arrive at school
8:35-8:45: Students Arrive
Kindergarten to front steps
Grades 1-5 to blacktop
Rainy days: Kindergarten to hallway inside front door
Grades 1-5 to All Purpose Room
Please have your children report to school promptly
8:50: School begins – tardy bell followed by announcements and opening program.
11:20 – 1:10: Lunch & Recess Schedule
3:05: Classes dismissed
4:00: School closed except for Westmoreland Children's Center
Students enter the building at 8:45 a.m. Please be mindful that students are expected to be seated in their classroom each day by 8:50 a.m. Our school day begins at 8:50 a.m. Students who arrive at school after 8:50 a.m. are tardy and must be signed in at the office by a parent or guardian.
PLEASE NOTE !! If you want your child to be dismissed early from school, please send a note to the teacher with the reason and time for early dismissal. No child can be dismissed to anyone other than his or her parent without written permission. THE CHILD MUST BE PICKED UP AT THE SCHOOL OFFICE AND SIGNED OUT.
News by Phone
24-hour news about Montgomery County Public Schools is available by calling 301/279-3673. The recorded news messages are changed every day at 5:00 p.m., or as needed, to give the latest information about school programs, Board of Education meetings and other events. A summary of important actions is reported after each Board of Education meeting.
MCPS news and information about school closings, delayed openings and early releases due to weather conditions can be received from the following sources:
• The MCPS home page: www.mongtomeryschoolsmd.org
• Twitter: http://twitter.com/mcps
• Text and Email (Alert MCPS): http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/info/emergency/sources/alertmcps/
• Comcast Cable Channel 34 and Verizon FIOS Channel 36
• The telephone information line: 301-279-3673
• QuickNotes e-mail news service – subscribe via http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/info/quicknotes/welcome/english/
• MCPS Newsfeed: http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/info/newsfeed/
• Local TV and radio stations
• Ask MCPS: 301-309-6277
Closures: Announced by 5:00 a.m. Closings cause cancellations of all activities using the school, including evening activities (even if the weather clears).
Delayed Openings: Announced by 5:00 a.m. Schools start TWO HOURS LATE. Westbrook begins at 10:50 a.m. – students should NOT arrive BEFORE 10:40 a.m.
Early Dismissals: Announced by 11:15 a.m. Schools are dismissed 2 ½ HOURS EARLY. Westbrook students will be dismissed at 12:25 p.m. to their regular buses, or as walkers. If Westbrook closes school due to unexpected circumstances – OTHER THAN WEATHER – such as burst water pipe, parents will be called and notified.
If you use Westmoreland Children’s Center, please be sure you know their policy for all of these situations or call them at 301-229-7161.
MCPS CONTINGENCY CALENDAR
If the school year should be disrupted by emergencies and schools are closed...
• 5 days—the school year will be extended by one day to June 13, 2012;
• 6 days—the school year will be extended by two days to June 13 and 14, 2012;
• 7 days—the school year will be extended by three days to June 13, 14 and 15, 2012;
• 8 days—the school year will be extended by four days to June 13, 14, 15 and 18, 2012;
• 9 days—the school year will be extended by five days to June 13, 14, 15, 18 and 19, 2012
There is a telephone in the office that may be used by students in an emergency. Another telephone is located outside the All Purpose Room. Parents may telephone the office during the day if they need to get a message to their children in emergency situations. THE OFFICE WILL NOT TAKE ROUTINE MESSAGES FOR STUDENTS.
Arrival & Dismissal Procedures
Attached are the 2013/2014 arrival and dismissal procedures.
Lost and Found
All items found in the school building or on the grounds are placed in the Lost and Found collection baskets located on the entry landing closest to Mrs. Pickle’s counselor office and the school conference room. Unclaimed items are donated to a local charity.