IB Program Requirements
Students who participate in the IB Diploma Program must fulfill the requirements for both the Maryland State Department of Education Diploma and the International Baccalaureate Diploma.
- Passing all required High School Assessment examinations.
- Meeting all MCPS course requirements.
- Completion of 60 hours of Student Service Learning.
- Completing course work in fine arts, technology, health, and physical education. In order to achieve an IB diploma it is strongly advised that this course work be completed by the sophomore year.
IB Diploma Requirements
- Course work and the required accumulation of points on examinations from six subject groups. Three higher level (HL) and three standard level (SL) exams.
- Completion of approximately 150 hours of CAS (Creativity, Action and Service) education.
- Completion of a 4,000 word extended essay.
- Completion of a course called Theory of Knowledge (ToK), including the required assessments.
Students who successfully complete the IB Diploma Program will receive an IB diploma, a diploma from the State of Maryland, and a Certificate of Merit. All students who do not earn the IB Diploma will receive certificates for each of the IB exams taken. Completion of the IB Diploma Program may make students eligible for credit and/or exemption of freshman courses at colleges and universities around the world. For more information on university recognition of the IB Diploma, click here.