About | Program | Event Map | Get Involved | Volunteer | 2017 Unity Survey | Donate | Our Sponsors
Paint Branch High School is planning an exciting new event this spring: UNITY-- a night to where we can come together and embrace our diversity; a night where being unique is special, welcome and celebrated! This free event will take place at Paint Branch High School on Wednesday April 5, 2017 from 6:00 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
The idea for this event was an outcome of Paint Branch High School students’ participation in International Day for Tolerance on November 16th, 2016. On that day our students peacefully came together to spread messages of peace and unity while chanting: “Forever united, we will never be divided.” Unfortunately, this cannot be said for all young people as we see angry riots, protests and violence ensue in other areas. Our students have observed that every time they log onto social media, turn on the television or listen to the radio, they hear a constant flow of negativity. With so much negative press, we wanted to plan an event to bring our community together and share the good in the world, and to celebrate something we all have in common - our diversity.
We are calling this event “UNITY: A Celebration of our Diversity.” Our goal is to create a celebration of the uniqueness and diversity we share as people. Our hope is that through these kinds of events, we will educate and enlighten each other, and will be able to foster a true understanding and tolerance of our differences. These differences are what enrich human interaction and make life more beautiful.
All are welcome to join the evening’s festivities which will include: a diversity fair, live music and performances, dance lessons, speakers, a fashion show, an International Fusion Culinary Competition, an open-mic coffee house, and of course fun!
Click on the links to find out more information about the events that will occur throughout the evening.
- Enlightenment Expo: Diversity fair
- The Cultured Cup: Open-mic coffee house
- FUSED: PBHS Restaurant Management & Culinary Arts International Fusion Culinary Competition--Who's the best chef? You be the judge! This is a ticketed event and has a limited number of participants.
- Global Groove: Dance lessons from cultures all over the globe.
- Cosmopolitan Couture: A showcase of international fashion.
- LIVE Musical Performances: Sponsored by Strathmore
- Culture Corner: Kids of all ages are welcome to share their uniqueness through arts & crafts!
- Eat the World: See what food trucks will be parked outside, and find out what their delectable international offerings will be!
- Diverse Dyes: Tie Dye T-Shirts
If you would like to participate in Unity, please complete the online interest form, or email firstname.lastname@example.org directly. If you would like to volunteer, please complete this volunteer form to sign up for a shift. To RSVP, please complete the form below.
Would you like to donate to make the Unity event possible? All donors will be recognized on our program, webpage and sponsor wall, unless requested to be anonymous. Please click on the selected amount to make a donation online, or mail in sponsor form with check payable to PBHS c/o Samantha Candia, 14121 Old Columbia Pike, Burtonsville, MD 20866.
A special thanks to the services donated and generous contributions from our sponsors: