Project for 8th Grade Student Service Learning (SSL) Through Advanced US History 8 - 2012
Mastery Objective: By the end of their research sessions, students will be knowledgeable about a public issue or community need and create a product that brings further awareness to the issue or need.
1. Choose a Public Issue or Community Need:
- Assistance for People with Special Needs (Mental Disabilities, Physical Disabilities)
- Poverty, Hunger, Homelessness
- Public Health: HIV, Obesity, Health Insurance
2. Research the public issue or community need you chose and record important information on the note-taking spread sheet that is provided. Include all of the following:
- Statement and definition of the public issue or community need
- Why the issue is important
- Statistics related to the issue or community need (e.g. number of people impacted, $ and resources involved in resolving the issue, etc.)
- How society dealt with this issue in the past
- How the issue is being dealt with currently
- Current news stories related to the issue, with at least one hyperlink (or URL)
- What people can do about the issue or how other people can help with a community need
3. Prepare a product that brings awareness to the issue (options follow):
• Create a public service announcement about the selected issue.
• Write a speech on the issue for a community audience.
• Write a letter to a member of Congress or a local politician (can also use e-mail) http://www.house.gov/writerep/
4. Reflection: Complete MCPS Form 560-51: SSL Activity Verification
MCPS Homework Resources
Middle School -->History Reference Center--> Student Research Center - Type in topic
SIRS Knowledge Source --> SIRS Discoverer
#7. Media --> Online Resources--> Gale Virtual Reference Library-->Opposing Viewpoints in Contexct
--> Issues and Controversies
#2 Applications--> Photostory 3 for Windows.
Note Taking Template