Student Transfer Request Process — Cambio de asignación de escuela

Montgomery County parents who wish to request a change in school assignment for their children from their home school may begin the process during the upcoming transfer season, which will be held from February 1 through April 1.
Students in Montgomery County are assigned to public schools based on their place of residence or in accordance with an Individualized Education Program (IEP) and are expected to attend their assigned school. However, changes from one school to another are permitted for students who are exempt or who are granted a change of school assignment based upon unique hardship. Requests for a change in school assignment will be granted for the following:

  • Documented, unique hardship.
  • Sibling: Older sibling attends requested school (except in consortia schools)
  • Continuation: Continuation in feeder pattern for student on approved change of school assignment from middle to high school, except when affected by boundary change or consortium choice guidelines. Continuation from elementary to middle school is subject to the hardship provision in A.
  • Exempt Programs: Student selected for an exempt program (see listing of these programs in the booklet)
  • Family Relocation: When a family moves within Montgomery County, preference to remain in the original school will be considered to complete the current school year only.

    Please note that by accepting a change of schools, the parent or guardian accepts responsibility to provide transportation, except when a student participates in an exempt countywide program
    The transfer process begins in the home school, where parents may request an assignment change form and the Change of School Assignment Information Booklet (see sidebar at right) that describes the process and provides useful information.

    Assignment change forms and the information booklets will be available in schools beginning the first week of February. Special programs that do not fall under the transfer guidelines are listed in the information booklet.
    For more information about the transfer process, parents are asked to contact the principal of their home school. Non-English speaking parents may receive more information by calling the Spanish Hotline at 301-230-3073, the Asian Hotline at 301-230-5436, or the ESOL Parent Center at 301-230-0674.
    Students who attend a high school in the Northeast or Downcounty Consortia should contact the consortia office at 301-649-8081 for information on change of school assignment. For information on the application process for the Middle School Magnet Consortium, contact the Consortium Center at 301-649-8081.
    • Change of School Assignment Information also look for MCPS Form 335-45, Request for a Student Transfer from the Home School and Booklet
    • Folleto de información sobre el cambio de asignación de escuela (139K PDF) incluye Formulario MCPS 335-45, Solicitud de cambio de asignación de escuela