Work Permit Procedures
There is a new work permit form and a new procedure to process them.
WORK PERMITS WILL NO LONGER BE ISSUED ON THE SPOT SINCE ALL THE
INFORMATION ON THE APPLICATION MUST BE TRANSFERRED TO AN ELECTRONIC FORM
BEFORE BEING ISSUED TO THE MINOR.
Work permits requested before school will be ready for pickup
at lunch and those requested at lunch will be ready at 2:10 p.m. GHS
students need to plan accordingly.
A work permit is required before anyone under the age of 18 is
allowed to work in Maryland. Work permits are not issued to minors under
the age of 14. When the permit is issued it will allow the minor to
perform certain and specific duties for a particular employer. If the
minor changes jobs, a new work permit must be obtained. The work permit
does not expire; however, it is not transferable to another employer or another job with the same employer.
The validated work permit, with the Issuing Officer’s signature must
be in the employer’s possession before the minor is permitted to work.
Hard-copy Applications for Work Permits are available in the Counseling
Department, College/Career Center or online via the link below. Pick up
or print an application.
Work Permit Process
- The minor must complete an Application for Work Permit for that is obtained from GHS, completing the top “To The Minor” section in very easy to read printing.
- The minor then takes the application to the sponsoring employer who will fill in the “To The Employer” section, sign the application, and return it to the minor.
- The minor’s parent or guardian must then review the form for completeness and authorize the minor to perform work by signing the bottom section “To The Parent or Guardian”.
- Fill out the Online Application completely using the data collected on the hard copy application.
- Follow Directions on the Application Receipt
- The minor brings in the completed form and application receipt along with a photo identification (School ID, Passport, driver’s License, learner’s permit) to the Counseling Department. Verification is then made by one of the school’s Issuing Officers that the ID presented represents the minor applying for a permit.
- Once the minor’s identification is verified the student will leave the application at GHS and return either at lunch or at the end of the school day, to pick up their completed Work Permit for Minors. This extra processing time is necessary because all the information on the application must be transferred to an online form. The actual Work Permit that the minor receives will then be returned to the employer so that minor can begin their employment.