GHS National Honor Society
Informational meetings will occur in 1120 on September 9th. Juniors and Seniors may apply, please listen for the morning announcements and visit our table at Back to School Night on September 7, 2016.
The Gaithersburg High School Chapter of the National Honor Society recognizes outstanding students for their academic achievement as well as their achievements in leadership, service, and character. Students at Gaithersburg High School may apply for membership in the National Honor Society if they meet the following qualifications:
- Achieved and maintained, as a senior or junior, a cumulative, unweighted GPA of at least a 3.5;
- Demonstrated leadership ability and character qualities;
- Demonstrated service to the Gaithersburg High School community (at least 60 hours);
- Gained approval by the Faculty Council.
The Gaithersburg High School Faculty Council reads the applications and makes final decisions concerning membership. The induction ceremony will take place on an evening to be determined in the Gaithersburg High School Performing Arts Center.
Juniors who do not qualify for membership may apply again at the beginning of their senior year, providing their GPA is 3.5 or higher.
Once inducted, National Honor Society members are required to participate in the tutoring program, volunteer projects, and fundraisers. Other activities will be announced at our monthly meetings held in room 3061 on the 2nd and 4th Fridays of each month during lunch.
Following are the steps to complete the NHS application:
- Read all material carefully.
- The application is available as a PDF form, which you can fill out online. Save a copy of the NHS Application Form . You do not have to complete the application all at once. You can save the form and add to the saved form until you are finished. If you need more space than what's allowed on the form, create a MS Word document with which question you are answering clearly noted and attach it to your application to submit. No applications that are hand written will be accepted.
- Along with the application you will need 2 teacher recommendations. Print 2 copies of the Teacher Recommendation Form , ask 2 teachers to fill them out and return them to you in a sealed envelope, with their signature on the seal, before Friday September 30, 2016.
- Select a community sponsor to fill out a recommendation form. Print the Sponsor Recommendation Form , ask the sponsor to fill it out and return it to you in a sealed envelope, with his/her signature on the seal, before Friday September 30, 2016.
- Submit everything to Ms. Gable and/or Mr. Reid in the NHS designated box, located in the main office, by Friday September 30, 2016, NO LATER THAN 2:20pm. Late applications will NOT be accepted under any circumstances.
- YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR COLLECTING AND SUBMITTING EVERYTHING IN ONE ENVELOPE, TO Ms. Gable and/or Mr. Reid, BY Friday September 30, 2016.
- Potential candidates will be critiqued based on their demonstration of scholarship, service, leadership, and character.
The National Honor Society offers tutoring during S.H.O,W.-Time.
Please Email Mrs. Jennifer Gable to set up a showtime tutoring session: Jennifer.L.Gable@mcpsmd.net.
We also will offer limited after school tutoring.
More updates to come.
Need a tutor?
Gaithersburg High School's National Honor Society members are ready and waiting to be your tutors!
If you need some help in a class or maybe tips on review and note-taking, request an NHS tutor here. NHS members can tutor a wide range of subjects, including APs, and are available during showtimes, lunches, as well as before/after school. Please fill out the form on the following link so that we can match you with a tutor based on your needs and availability.
Link to request a tutor: https://goo.gl/forms/SBm8xByfkkApLuJ92
*Counselors and teachers may also use this form to request a tutor on behalf of their students.
Looking for holiday gift ideas and stocking stuffers? The NHS has several items including sweat pants ("smarty pants") tee shirts, key chains, and others. See Ms. Moss in the Counseling office.
We still have t-shirts available from last year and November, we will take pre-orders for NHS gear. See Mrs. Gable in 3061 for details.
Please contact Ms. Jen Gable and/or Mr. Walter Reid, NHS Sponsors
Follow us on Twitter @NHS_GHS