Gaithersburg High School Interscholastic Athletic Program
Welcome to GHS, a public school in the Montgomery County Public Schools system. Here at GHS, there is a great deal of pride in our academic, extracurricular, and athletic programs.In our athletic program, we strive to provide a safe and healthy environment for our teams to practice and play.
Our principal, athletic director, and coaches expect that all our men and women athletes will adhere to all MCPS, GHS, and team standards of conduct.
For all GHS athletes, we expect the following:
- All athletes MUST present MCPS Form SRS-6, Health Inventory form available in the GHS main office or the via the linked PDF document, the athletic director’s office and/or the coaches. Coaches normally pass these out at pre-season meetings. This form must be completely filled out and signed by a physician or nurse practitioner and is valid for one calendar year from the date of the examination. For example, a form turned in dated June 25, 2008 would be valid for athletics until June 24, 2009. This would cover all athletic teams for the school year 2008 - 2009. For the next school year, the athlete would have to arrange for a yearly health inventory and a new completed and signed form would have to be submitted.
- All athletes and their parents MUST sign our alcohol, drug, and tobacco policy form indicating that the student-athlete understands and will abide by the policy. Fortunately, at GHS, this policy is rarely invoked as most of our athletes abide by the standards. A Parent Permission Form and a Medical Card are also required in addition to any special forms made by the coach.
- All athletes MUST turn in all forms required by MCPS, GHS, and the coach. Athletes MUST clear all financial obligations with the GHS business office. Athletes MUST also pay a MCPS activity fee ($20) before participating in contests. The athlete does not have to pay this fee to tryout for a team, but upon making the team, the fee must be paid before participating in a contest. Forms and payment must be sent directly to the MCPS office indicated on the form.
- All athletes MUST attend all classes on time each day or they are not eligible to participate in practices or contests that day. Anyone with a medical appointment may be excused if the athlete or parent notifies the coach and/or athletic director prior to the absence, tardiness, or early departure from school.
- All athletes MUST be academically eligible and meet the MCPS standards for academic eligibility in order to participate in athletics. In addition, some of our coaches require higher academic standards for participation.
- All athletes are expected to work to improve their athletic skills and prepare themselves to compete exhibiting the best examples of sportsmanship as representatives of GHS
We hope this summary of our athletic program serves as a brief introduction to GHS athletics. We are here to serve you. Contact us if you have any concerns or questions.
Jason Woodward, Athletic Director