Students are eligible to apply to become an initiate if:
- They are currently a Junior or a Senior
- Juniors - Completed at least one Honors/AP level science course prior to junior year and are currently enrolled in an Honors or AP Science course
- Seniors - Completed at least two Honors/AP level science courses prior to senior year currently enrolled in an Honors or AP Science course
- Their overall weighted GPA must be a 3.0 or greater
- Their science weighted GPA must be a 3.5 or greater
: You are not applying to be a member, but rather to become an initiate who is eligible to be inducted in May. You must fulfill the requisites listed below before induction.
- SNHS, like all honor societies, is a service organization, and we are first and foremost dedicated to helping the community.
How to apply to become an initiate of the SNHS:
Click the link to fill out the SNHS application:
- The questionnaire will ask you to provide information about your cumulative GPA and all completed science courses and grades.
DUE DATES: November 15th - NO EXCEPTIONS, NO LATE SUBMISSIONS
- Google forms must be submitted by midnight on N
. Forms submitted after this time will not be accepted. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- PRIOR TO THIS DATE,
you must submit a hard copy of your unofficial Transcript to Ms. Ciccone in Room 225
You will be notified by e-mail if you qualify to be
eligible to be an initiate
into the Science National Honor Society. If you qualify, you must earn the honor of being inducted as a member into the SNHS by participating in club activities.
To be inducted it is your responsibility to:
- Pay yearly membership dues of $15.00
- Participation in fundraising if needed
- Sign up for the SNHS Google Classroom and the SNHS Remind messaging app
- Performing, at least, six hours of science related community service
- Four hours must be science tutoring
- Two hours must be science community service
- Attend 50% of science lectures / guest speakers per year
- Attendance at 80% of club meetings
- You must participate in at least 2 club projects
- Maintaining a 3.5 science weighted GPA and a 3.0 overall weighted GPA
- Represent DHS with honor and dignity by maintaining a referral free record
- Disciplinary Action:
- 1st Offense = Warning
- 2nd Offense = Probation
- 3rd Offence = Dismissal from the club
*DO NOT ASSUME
that if you qualify that you will be inducted! You must participate in order to be inducted.
If you are interested in being an officer once you are accepted as an initiate, please read the roles below and submit your interest in this
If you are elected officers you are automatically inducted into the Science National Honor Society (however, you may be dismissed and have to re-enroll if you are unable to complete the duties of your office). Your duties are described below:
- Section 1
. The officers of the chapter, their duties, and the method of their election shall be determined by the members of their chapter and be described in the chapter bylaws.
- Section 2.
The chapter shall consist of the following officers,
a vice president
a public relations officer
. All must be members of the Science National Honor Society.
- Section 3
. It shall be the duty of the president to preside over all the meetings of this chapter.
- Section 4
. The vice-president shall fill the chair of the president in his/her absence.
- Section 5
. The chapter treasurer shall receive and distribute all funds of the chapter and shall keep an accurate account of the receipts and disbursements in accordance with school regulations.
- Section 6
. The chapter secretary shall keep the minutes of the meeting, a record of all business and all records on file. The chapter secretary shall also be responsible for publicizing the events of the chapter and keeping its members informed of those events.
- The secretary will be responsible for recording the number of events each member has completed.
- Immediately following an election, the secretary must also submit to the national secretary of the Science National Honor Society a list of the names of those elected to membership.
- Section 7
. All chapter officers are obligated to the duty of presenting two brief scientific lectures annually. The lecture shall be ten to fifteen minutes in length and are given during a regular chapter meeting or in a special ceremony. The lecture may be based on any scientific idea, past, present, or future. It may take the form of a report on a certain subject.
- Section 8
. The local chapter officers shall have general supervision of the affairs of the chapter as overseen by the chapter adviser. All officers shall review Robert's Rules of Order, Newly Revised and hence, conduct the meetings in a coherent policy. The officers shall meet regularly, make recommendations to the chapter, and perform all duties named in the chapter bylaws.
Chapter officers shall fulfill all duties named in this Constitution and the local chapter bylaws.
- Section 11
. The officers shall abide by this Constitution, the SNHS standards, obligations, and ideals.
- Section 12
. A majority of the votes cast shall be necessary to elect any chapter officer.
- Section 13
. The executive committee shall have general charge over the meetings and the business of the chapter, but any member of the executive committee may be subject to the review of the chapter.
- Section 14
. The officers of the chapter shall determine the exact amount of the local dues