Big Learning Foreign Language: FLHS
FLES is the "Foreign Language in Elementary Schools" program started by Montgomery County PTA parents in the 1970s. The nonprofit Big Learning continues to offer the FLES program and strongly believes that a child whose curiosity about another language and culture is awakened will be better prepared to participate and interact in our increasingly global community.
Big Learning offers FLES Spanish, French and Mandarin language instruction for students in grades 3-6 at Chevy Chase Elementary school.
- Big Learning provides high quality programs taught by trained, native Spanish, French or Mandarin-speaking individuals who have classroom experience with young children.
- The focus is on exposure to a foreign language with emphasis on oral acquisition through songs, games, cultural notes and a proven, sequential curriculum.
- Classes are conveniently held right at CCES, immediately before or after school.
- FLES teachers make learning fun! The program emphasizes oral acquisition through songs, games, and cultural notes.
- Big Learning is committed to equity and open to all. The FLES program is a non-profit which aims to keep tuition affordable. Payment plans and scholarships are available.
- One-hour classes meet once a week from October through May.
Big Learning FLES class and schedule for 2017-2018:
- French, Beginner & Intermediate: Mondays 3:30 - 4:30 pm
- Spanish, Beginner, Intermediate & Advanced: Tuesdays 3:30 - 4:30 pm
- Chinese, Beginner: Wednesdays 7:45 - 8:45 am
Register online at www.biglearning.org/fles
Tuition is $209 for 12 weeks or $408 for 24 weeks (full year). A $10 Early Bird tuition discount is automatically given to everyone registered for a class by September 29th.
For more information about the various levels, see the website, www.biglearning.org/fles. Questions? Contact the PTA coordinator, Cynthia Laux Kreidler.