AfterProm - Why Should I Care?
What is AfterProm?
After Prom is a PTSA sponsored event that provides a safe, fun, substance-free celebration for our Junior and Senior classes immediately following Prom.
Why should my student attend AfterProm?
Statistics show roughly a third of alcohol-related teen traffic fatalities occur during the peak of prom season. An AAA survey of teens aged 16 to 19 found that 41% said it was likely that they or their friends would use drugs or alcohol on prom night. Despite the fact that more teens are involved in fatal traffic accidents related to alcohol during prom season, the majority of high school students don’t seem to recognize how dangerous it actually is. AAA also found 84% of teens surveyed said their friends would be more likely to get behind the wheel after drinking than to call home for a ride and another 22% said they’d ride in a car with someone who was impaired instead of calling their parents. The majority of teens who drink are downing substantially more on prom night. According to Liberty Mutual, 54% of teens who admitted to drinking during or after the prom said they consumed four or more alcoholic beverages. And last, but by no means least, students feel pressured at Prom to do what they normally might not do. Data from Mothers Against Drunk Driving and Chrysler found that nearly 75% of teens felt pressured to use alcohol while another 49% said their friends encouraged them to try drugs during prom. KEEP OUR KIDS SAFE by encouraging them to attend AfterProm.
Why not host my own party?
Understand your potential CRIMINAL LIABILITY under MD law. An adult who allows an underage drinker to consume, or even possess, alcohol in their home can be held criminally liable and subject to a fine of up to $2,500 for the first offense and $5,000 for the second. Add up to a year in prison if that underage drinker climbs behind the wheel and injures or kills someone. Not going to provide the alcohol yourself? The law says you’re still liable if a guest brings it in. Read the full text of MD House Bill 409, effective October 1, 2016 and dubbed Alex and Calvin's Law.
So, how can I help?
- Buy a Papa John’s Pizza card for $15! You get a free pizza for every carryout pizza bought at the regular price. Buy 1, get 1 free. Buy 10, get 10 free! Pays for itself the very first time. Good for a year. Deadline is April 16
- Come to our vendor Fair/Choral Concert on April 8 @Blake. The concert is from 4-6pm and the craft fair is from 1:30-5:30. This is an amazing event!
- Join us at Dream Dinners on Saturday, April 14
- Participate in our tuxedo Fundraiser - Thursday & Friday (April 12 & 13) during lunchtime at Blake. There are only 2 local places to rent a tuxes so this is a REALLY GREAT DEAL
- Donate $100 or more to become a legacy family sponsor
- For just $10 a parent, or any family member, can surprise their senior with a ‘best wishes’ slide that will run on a loop at the AfterProm
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on any of these opportunities.
AfterProm is being held at Dave & Buster’s on May 19 from midnight-5am.
The Blake PTSA