Engineering Innovation - Hopkins Pre-College Summer Program
The Johns Hopkins Engineering Innovation Summer (EI) Program is looking for motivated high school students interested in learning more about a career in engineering.
EI is the summer version of a freshman course offered to undecided engineering majors at JHU. We have condensed the semester-long course into four weeks. During the course, students complete lab activities in computer, chemical, electrical, computer, civil, mechanical engineering, materials science and robotics. They also prepare a presentation in response to a Request for Proposal, learn about engineering economics, write a research paper, build a spaghetti bridge, and have the opportunity to earn college credit.
Please take time to view a short video to hear from our past students.
This course is rigorous, and students must have As and Bs in their high school math and science classes. They also must have taken the following subjects to be eligible to apply:
- Algebra II
- Lab Science (physics, chemistry, or biology)
- Trigonometry, or have learned to use the trig functions – up through the application of the laws of sines and cosines to resolve non-right angle triangles in another math course
Most students are rising Juniors and Seniors in high school
- Hood College – Frederick, MD – commuter and residential
- JHU Applied Physics Lab Campus – Laurel, MD – commuter only
- JHU Homewood Campus – Baltimore, MD – commuter and residential
- JHU Montgomery County MD Campus – Rockville, MD – commuter only
- Loyola University Maryland – Baltimore, MD – commuter only
- District of Columbia
- University of the District of Columbia – Washington, DC – commuter only
- HACC-Harrisburg – Harrisburg, PA – commuter only
- Clark State Community College — Springfield, OH – commuter only
- California Lutheran University – Thousand Oaks, CA – commuter only
- California State University – Fullerton – Fullerton, CA – commuter only
- Mt. San Antonio College – Walnut, CA – commuter only
- Pasadena City College – Pasadena, CA – commuter only
- University of San Diego – San Diego, CA – commuter only
- For most sites: June 25, – July 20, 2018; Monday – Friday; 9:00 am – 3:00 pm
- Pasadena City College: June 18 – July 19, 2018; Monday – Thursday; 8:30 am – 2:30 pm
- HACC-Harrisburg: June 18 – July 19, 2018; Monday – Thursday; 9:00 am – 3:00 pm, closing event Friday, July 20
- Clark State Community College: June 18 – July 20, 2018; Monday – Friday; 9:00 am – 3:00 pm
- Online Application Available: December 15, 2017
- First Deadline: February 15, 2018
- Financial Aid Priority Deadline: March 15, 2018
- International Student Deadline: April 15, 2018
Schedule a visit
Our team would love to visit your school, meet your students, and discuss the exciting opportunities available to students interested in engineering. Please contact our office to schedule a time for us to visit.
Please discuss this opportunity with your students who may be interested in learning more about engineering. We would be happy to mail you printed brochures or poster. If you are interested, please let us know by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and be sure to include your mailing address.
For more information please visit our website: https://ei.jhu.edu/.