Ten Montgomery County Public Schools (MCPS) students have received National Merit Scholarships in the latest round of awards sponsored by universities and colleges.
Winners of these scholarships were selected by college and university officials from students that will attend their institutions and were finalists in the National Merit Scholarship Program. College-sponsored awards provide between $500 and $2,000 annually for up to four years of undergraduate study at the institution financing the scholarship.
This is the final round of National Merit Scholarship recipients for the Class of 2015. In all, MCPS had 59 National Merit scholarship recipients, including 14 students who were awarded other college-sponsored scholarships; seven who earned corporate-sponsored scholarships; 21 who earned $2,500 scholarships; and seven who earned National Achievement scholarships for scholastically talented African American students.
In total, the Class of 2015 has earned more than $335 million in college scholarships, among the most received by any graduating class in MCPS.
The latest National Merit Scholarship winners, their intended career fields, and the sponsoring university or college are:
Montgomery Blair High School
- Kara Nicole Watkins-Chow, University of Southern California, public relations
Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School
- John Robinson Ward, Bowdoin College, physics
Clarksburg High School
- Thomas Liu, University of Maryland, business
Richard Montgomery High School
- Trinish Chatterjee, University of Maryland, chemical engineering
- Nathan Jiahao Li, University of Maryland, electrical engineering
- William Jan Wang, Vanderbilt University, mathematics
Springbrook High School
- Patrick John Regan Fanelli, Rochester Institute of Technology, mechanical engineering
Walter Johnson High School
- Eli Martin Iverson Kane, Dickinson College, neurobiology
Wheaton High School
- Elisabeth Catherine Rennert, Rochester Institute of Technology, materials science
Thomas S. Wootton High School
- Jasmine Rachel Wung, Lehigh University, engineering