April is the Month of the Young Child (MOYC) in Montgomery County. A number of special activities and events have been planned around the theme, “Happy, Healthy, and Learning Every Day.”
- The Board of Education will recognize the upcoming celebration and events at its March 22 business meeting.
- A ceremony and joint proclamation with county agencies that support young children and families is scheduled for Wednesday, April 14, 10:30-11:30, at CentroNia, 1345 University Blvd., Takoma Park. Many local officials are expected to attend.
- Two MOYC festivals will be held in April:
- Saturday, April 10, 11 a.m. until 4 p.m. at Westfield Shoppingtown in Wheaton
- Saturday, April 24, 11 a.m. until 4 p.m., Lakeforest Mall in Gaithersburg
There will be free entertainment and fun activities for young children as well as resources and information for parents at each of the two festival events. The Montgomery County Public Schools Office of Communications and Family Outreach will sponsor an “ASK MCPS” table at the April 10 event at Westfield Shoppingtown, where parents and community members can ask questions, learn about MCPS programs and services, and take home tips on ways to support learning at home.