The Board of Education met on Monday [August 25] and, among other items, approved preliminary plans for renovation of Northwood High School and appointed eight administrators. The Board reviewed plans for the opening of school. An update on the Professional Growth System for administrative and supervisory personnel also was discussed, as well as proposed changes in the structure of the Collaboration Council.
Preliminary Plans for Northwood High School
The Board approved preliminary plans for the renovation of Northwood High School which will include an addition wing housing a cafeteria. Northwood will reopen as part of the Downcounty Consortium in the fall of 2004.
The Board approved the following administrative appointments:
* Elizabeth R. Brown, currently program supervisor, K-12 English/Language Arts, Department of Curriculum and Instruction, as director, Pre-K-12 Curriculum Development Team,
Department of Curriculum and Instruction.
* Mary B. Dempsey, currently administrative assistant, Office of Student and Community Services, as coordinator, Alternative Programs at McKenney Hills Center.
* Terri L. Doane, currently instructional specialist, Office of Staff Development, as program supervisor, Special Education Instruction, Department of Curriculum and
* Nancy A. Lucas, currently human resources specialist, Office of Human Resources, as coordinator, Preschool Placement and Assessment, Division of Placement and Assessment
* Lorene Mayes-Winslow, currently acting supervisor, special education, Division of Programs and Services, as supervisor, Division of Programs and Services, Department of
* Dr. Robert E. Robison, currently coordinator of programs, Worthington Schools, Worthington, Ohio, as program supervisor, Foreign Language, Department of Curriculum and
* Cynthia R. Weitz, currently instructional specialist, team leader, Interdisciplinary Augmentative Communication Team (InterACT), Office of Student and Community Services,
as coordinator, Infants and Toddlers Program, North Lake Center.
* Nasser Zureick, currently managing director, Maryland Technology Group, LLC, as program manager for business systems, Office of Global Access Technology.
Readiness for Opening of Schools
The Board reviewed the plans for the opening of school. Areas that were included in the discussion were curriculum revisions, assessment, staff development programs, human resources, technology upgrades, transportation, food services, and materials and facilities management.
Update on the A&S Professional Growth System
The Board reviewed an update of the Professional Growth System for administrative and supervisory staff. Recent work has focused on developing performance criteria for the standards designed for principals.
The Board reviewed information on the proposed legislation that would restructure the scope of responsibilities of the Collaboration Council, a local management board designed to implement interagency services to children and families.
Board of Education: Mrs. Patricia B. O’Neill, president; Ms. Sharon W. Cox, vice president. Members: Mr. Kermit V. Burnett, Mr. Reginald M. Felton, Dr. Charles Haughey, Mr. Walter N. Lange, Mr. Gabe Romero, and Mr. Sagar Sanghvi, student member. Dr. Jerry D. Weast, superintendent and secretary treasurer. Office of the Board: 301-279-3617.