The implementation of the Downcounty Consortium, in which students will be able to choose to attend either Montgomery Blair, Albert Einstein, John F. Kennedy, Northwood, or Wheaton high schools -- beginning in the 2004-2005 school year, when Northwood reopens -- moved forward this week with a recommendation to the Board of Education on the identification of the base areas for the participating schools.
The recommendation by Dr. Jerry D. Weast, superintendent of schools, was released today [Wednesday, May 14]. The Board of Education will review the recommendation at a work session on May 27 beginning at 8:15 p.m. and a public hearing will be held on June 10 beginning at 7:00 p.m. The Board is to take action on June 23, beginning at 7:30 p.m.
Key to the superintendent's recommendation is the provision that students receive an assignment guarantee to their base area high school if it is either their first or second choice. Many of the student choice rules and procedures recommended for the Downcounty Consortium are modeled after those in the Northeast Consortium, in which students choose to attend high schools that have unique academic programs that distinguish each school.
The details of the recommendation, including provisions for student choice, the school assignment process, and related procedures, are available on the school system's web site at the link below.
In summary, the base-area recommendations are aligned largely with existing elementary school service areas in the Downcounty region. The recommended base areas include the following:
Montgomery Blair High School Base Area
* East Silver Spring / Takoma Park / Piney Branch Elementary Schools
* Montgomery Knolls / Pine Crest Elementary Schools
* New Hampshire Estates / Oak View Elementary Schools
* Rolling Terrace Elementary School
* The eastern portion of the Sligo Creek Elementary School service area
Albert Einstein High School Base Area
* Highland Elementary School
* Oakland Terrace Elementary School
* Rock View Elementary School
* Woodlin Elementary School
John F. Kennedy High School Base Area
* Bel Pre / Strathmore Elementary Schools
* Georgian Forest Elementary School
* Glenallan Elementary School
* Harmony Hills Elementary School
Northwood High School Base Area
* Forest Knolls Elementary School
* Glen Haven Elementary School
* Highland View Elementary School
* Kemp Mill Elementary School
* The western portions of the Sligo Creek Elementary School service area
Wheaton High School Base Area
* Brookhaven Elementary School
* Viers Mill Elementary School
* Weller Road Elementary School
* Wheaton Woods Elementary School