Meeting the Requirements of the Baldrige Categories
Once schools have met the essential requirements as outlined in Chapter Three, "The Essentials of Baldrige-guided School Improvement Planning," they are ready to explore additional requirements within each category based on school priorities. These requirements are summarized on expanded linkages charts:
- The linkages chart summarizing the "what" questions (163K PDF) provides guidance to the content for the school improvement plan.
- The linkages chart summarizing the "how" questions (163K PDF) provides guidance for meeting the process requirements. These questions should be used when the "what" questions cannot be answered.
How to Use Chapter Four, "Meeting the Requirements of the Baldrige Categories Related to School Improvement Planning"
- If a school is working with only the essential questions, the corresponding sections from this chapter can be used as a resource.
- If a school has met the "essential" Baldrige requirements, the expanded category sections from this chapter can be used to meet additional Baldrige requirements by category.
- Each category section is designed with sufficient explanation so that a principal having experience with Baldrige-guided school improvement planning can use each individual section as a resource.
"Meeting the Requirements of the Baldrige Categories Related to School Improvement Planning" is organized around the seven Baldrige Categories and provides detailed guidance for meeting each requirement. Each category section provides for the following:
- A review of the literature and research supporting or validating the category focus
- Processes for meeting the requirements of each category in developing a school improvement plan, answering the "how" or process questions.
- As with the Baldrige "Essentials," "systems checks" for each category are provided so that schools can self-assess to determine to which extent systems have been put in place to develop and sustain each category.
- Leadership Systems Checks (184K PDF)
- Strategic Planning Systems Check (184K PDF)
- Student and Stakeholder Focus Systems Check (184K PDF)
- Measurement, Analysis and Knowledge Management Systems Check(194K PDF)
- Faculty and Staff Focus Systems Check (195K PDF)
- Process Management Systems Check (194K PDF)
- Organizational Performance Results Systems Check(195K PDF)
Download summaries of the requirements of each category:
- Student and Stakeholder Focus (98K PDF)
- Leadership (109K PDF)
- Strategic Planning (106K PDF)
- Organizational Performance Results
- Measurement, Analysis, and Knowledge Management (107K PDF)
- Faculty and Staff Focus (109K PDF)
- Process Management (105K PDF)
Related Topics in Baldrige for Leadership
- Introduction to the Principal's Handbook
- The Baldrige-guided School/Office Improvement Process
- Developing the School/Office Culture
- The Essentials of Baldrige
- Meeting the Requirements of the Baldrige Categories (Overview)