Montgomery County Public Schools are closed today due to emergency weather conditions. All school and community activities in school buildings also are canceled. Administrative offices will open at 11 a.m. Child care programs in schools may decide to open after 11 a.m.
MENSAJES DE EMERGENCIA:
Todas las escuelas de Montgomery County Public Schools permanecerán cerradas el día de hoy debido a las condiciones de emergencia por tiempo inclemente. Todas las actividades escolares y comunitarias en los edificios escolares también quedan canceladas. Oficinas administrativas abrirán a las 11 a.m. Programas de cuidado infantil en edificios escolares, podrían decidir abrir después de las 11:00 a.m.
See Emergency Information
Superintendent of Schools → Transition Plan
Montgomery County Public Schools Superintendent Joshua P. Starr formed a transition team of outside education experts and MCPS staff members to conduct a thorough review of MCPS. The team was led by Dr. Robert Peterkin, Professor Emeritus at the Harvard University Graduate School of Education.
The team’s report highlights the strengths it found in MCPS and areas where additional focus is needed. The report focuses on four areas: teaching and learning, professional learning, culture and context, and operations. The transition report, along with the information gleaned this fall from the “Listen and Learn” sessions, will shape Dr. Starr’s strategy to help MCPS reach the next level of success.
Since June 2011, the team reviewed system data, documents, and plans; conducted focus groups with a variety of stakeholders; and interviewed numerous community and elected leaders. As the team prepared its recommendations, both near-term and long-term, five broad themes emerged:
- Differentiation within and among schools, classrooms, and students
- Communications and relationships with stakeholders
- Implementation of vision, mission, and policies in practice
- Design and delivery of professional development initiatives
- Issues of race and equity
Transition Team Members
- Dr. Robert Peterkin, Professor Emeritus, Harvard University Graduate School of Education, Director Urban Superintendent’s Program
- Dr. Rebecca Thessin, Assistant Professor of Educational Administration, The George Washington University Graduate School of Education and Human Development
- Brian Edwards, Chief of Staff, MCPS
- Dr. Brian Osborne, Superintendent of Schools, South-Orange Maplewood, NJ
- Dr. Frieda Lacey, Deputy Superintendent, MCPS
- Katheryn Gemberling, former Deputy Superintendent, MCPS
- Vera Gaines, Co-Lead Consulting Teacher, MCPS
- Dr. Larry Leverett, Executive Director, Panasonic Foundation
- Dr. Frank Stetson, Chief School Performance Office, MCPS
- Dr. LaVerne Kimball, Community Superintendent, MCPS
- Scott Murphy, Principal, MCPS
- John Kim, Chief Executive Officer, District Management Council and Senior Lecturer, Harvard Business School
- Larry Bowers, Chief Operating Officer, MCPS
- Dr. Susan Marks, Superintendent of Schools, Norwalk, CT
- Ruth Musicante, Professional Growth Consultant, MCPS