School Business Administrator
The Office of Human Resources and Development will accept applications from current MCPS employees for the School Business Administrator Pool beginning January 29, 2018 through February 28, 2018.
Please visit MCPS Careers and apply to the "Applicant Pool – School Business Administrator."
Under direction of the principal, the school business administrator provides overall leadership related to the financial management of the school, facility management, and management of other aspects of the school not directly related to the instructional program. The SBA is responsible for the school's budget and financial functions in accordance with Board policy and regulations; oversees the use of the facility; provides guidance to food service school personnel, transportation, purchasing and procurement programs; collaborates with the school leadership team to effectively manage human resources; ensures the school derives maximum benefit from its budget; and contributes to the school's overall development as an active member of the school leadership team. The SBA is responsible for providing comprehensive and accurate financial information to school leadership and the Board in a timely manner to enable the school to plan and take appropriate management action.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Knowledge of fiduciary principles, practices, and techniques of business administration, specifically in accounting, financial management, human resources, budgeting, and planning with application in the following areas: food services, transportation, and facility management
Knowledge of and the ability to interpret MCPS financial and operations policies, regulations, and procedures
Ability to administer and apply continuous improvement principles to automated business and student information systems
Excellent oral and written communications and human relations skills
Demonstrated ability to supervise and evaluate staff and implement the Supporting Services Professional Growth System (SSPGS)
Knowledge and application of the six leadership standards that have been established for the Montgomery County Association of Administrators and Principals (MCAAP/MCBOA) Professional Growth System (PGS)
Education, Training, and Experience
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a preferred major in business administration, finance, educational administration, or a related field which includes 9 semester hours in accounting/finance and 18 semester hours in two or more of the following areas: economics, marketing, public policy, supply chain management, information technologies, and management and organization (Other combination of courses may be considered in lieu of specified course work.)
Master’s degree with a major in business management and/or administration desirable
Experience with budget development, finance administration, and/or prior public school finance experience preferred
3-5 years’ experience related to school management or business management experience preferred
Association of School Business Officials (ASBO) certification desirable
SBA Applicant Pool Process
Click here for SBA Application Process 2018
SBA Pool Checklist
To be considered for the SBA Pool, you must attach to your MCPS Careers profile the following:
- Letter of interest detailing how your education and experience have prepared you for the position
- Resume demonstrating education, training, at least three years of experience in school management or business management
- Transcripts with degrees conferred
- Two reference letters sent directly to AdminStaffing@mcpsmd.org by the individuals writing the references, one must be from current supervisor (Please submit reference forms only after you have applied on MCPS Careers.)
SBA Pool Process
- Apply to the "Applicant Pool – School Business Administrator" on MCPS Careers.
- If you meet the requirements noted above, you will then be contacted to complete the following screening tests: school business administrator exam, Microsoft Excel skills test, and a writing sample.
- If selected for the SBA Pool, you may then apply for vacancies.
- Eligibility in the pool is for 3 years.
For additional information about the application process, please email Angie Fish at Angie_L_Fish@mcpsmd.org.