The goals of the Asbestos Management Program are to:
- Manage the asbestos containing materials (ACM) in MCPS buildings to ensure that exposures to personnel and the environment are minimized and are below the Occupational Safety and health Administration (OSHA) permissible exposure limit (PEL);
- Ensure that all maintenance, removal and disposal of ACM is compliant with all OSHA, EPA (AHERA/NESHAP), Maryland regulations, and;
- Manage construction, demolition and maintenance asbestos projects including the contracting of licensed abatement firms, licensed abatement inspectors, management planners, project designers, and air monitoring consultants and/or in-house preparation of asbestos project design and inspection.
- Manage in-house operations and maintenance activities including: training, medical surveillance, internal work permitting, monitoring and record keeping.
- Maintain and update MCPS Management Plans including: notifications, all records of asbestos surveys, air monitoring activities, asbestos work activities, medical surveillance, respiratory protection program and personnel exposures.