Early Childhood Programs and Services → Prekindergarten Information →Enrollment and Registration Information
Prekindergarten & Head Start Enrollment and Registration
Who is eligible to apply for MCPS Prekindergarten and Head Start Programs?
The MCPS Prekindergarten/Head Start program serves low-income families with children who will be four years old by September 1, 2015. This includes children with disabilities. There are limited spaces available in certain areas of Rockville and Takoma Park for Head Start income-eligible children who will be three years old by September 1, 2015.
How old do children need to be to apply for the programs?
To enroll in the four-year-old program for the 2015-2016 school year, children must be four years old by September 1, 2015.
How do parents apply for the MCPS Prekindergarten/Head Start Programs?
Registration for the 2015-2016 school year will begin on March 16, 2015.
Walk-in applications are accepted Monday through Thursday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m at Rocking Horse Road Center, 4910 Macon Road, Room 141, Rockville, Maryland 20852. Closing time may be earlier based on the number of applicants. The number of applicants cannot exceed 150 per day.
Applications are not accepted on a first come, first served basis. All children who are age and income eligible will be placed.
Applications will also be accepted on selected weekday evenings and Saturdays as well as at other community locations.
List of registration dates for evening, Saturday, and community locations
What do parents need to bring to complete an application?
In order for an application for Prekindergarten/Head Start to be processed, parents must bring the following documents:
- U.S. Birth Certificate: (U.S. Passport also accepted) Children who are not U.S. citizens MUST first register with School Counseling, Residency and International Admissions (SCRIA). For an appointment with SCRIA, call 301-230-0686.
- Household Income Verification: This must be provided for all persons working or receiving income in the household
- 2014 1040 tax statements including all W2's and 3 current pay stubs for each job; and, if self-employed, submit Schedule "C" (Profit or Loss from Business) and Form 1099
- Proof of additional income sources (i.e., child support court order or notarized letter, unemployment benefits, Temporary Cash Assistance, rental income, Social Security benefits, notarized financial support letter showing dollar amount, etc.)
- Acceptable Proofs of Montgomery County Residence:
- Current property tax bill or deed and current utility bill (if homeowner)
- Copy of current lease and utility bill (if renter) and HOC letter, if applicable
- Notarized Shared Housing Disclosure: MCPS Form 335-74 (if sharing housing and/or living with others); AND copy of Homeowners' property tax bill or deed, or Renters' current lease; and owner's utility bill; and three documents mailed to the parent/guardian at the shared housing address
- Parent's/Guardian's Photo Identification and court documents for custody, if applicable
- Additional Supporting Documents: child care provider's name, address, and telephone number, child's medical insurance information, Food Stamps, WIC, child care subsidy vouchers, rental/utilities assistance, Individualized Education Program (IEP), proof of guardianship/foster care, if applicable
Where can I get more information about the Prekindergarten and Head Start Programs?
For additional information about the MCPS Prekindergarten and Head Start programs:
TTY Phone Number: 301-230-5462