Experiencing change or transition can be difficult for any of us to deal with. Common reactions to change include:
Denial/Shock: Shutting down emotionally, feeling uneasy, fear of the unknown, anger, and concern that there aren't enough resources to manage the change. "This can't be happening to me."
In Limbo: Chaos, feeling unfocused, indecisive, depressed, wondering "What's going to happen to me?"
New Beginnings: Coming to an acceptance that change is inevitable, rechanneling energy, skill building, feeling more in focus, committed, and balanced. "I can deal with this and learn from it."
Tips for Successfully Responding to Change:
- Increase your knowledge of the change process: recognize normal symptoms
- Identify your losses, continuities, and gains
- Take care of yourself: physically, socially, and emotionally
- Set boundaries: know your limits and what's within your realm of control
- Utilize effective communication skills: communicate your needs, listen to coworkers, contribute to a supportive work environment
- Seek opportunities for professional growth: tap into your own creativity
- Consider possibilities in a new light: experiment a little every day.