Book Resource List
This collection of books provides readers with background information, research and practices related to Equity and equity issues. Topics include cultural identity and racial consciousness, cultural patterns and culturally responsive teaching.
Book Resource Webpage
- ***Teacher's Mind Resources: Excellent resources for articles related to teacher beliefs, values, and expectations.
- THE MID-ATLANTIC EQUITY CONSORTIUM: This site will assist in creating learning environments free of race, gender, class, ethnic and culture biases so that students of all backgrounds will have equal opportunities to flourish.
- Education World: Diversity in Education: The Education World Diversity Center aggregates the latest content, articles, and resources to help educators understand Equity issues in their schools and lives.
- ***Tolerance.org: Tolerance.org is a principal online destination for people interested in dismantling bigotry and creating, in hate's stead, communities that value Equity.
- The RACE PROJECT http://www.understandingrace.org/home.html This site looks at race through three lenses: history, human variation, and lived experience. Looking through the eyes of history, science and lived experience, the RACE Project explains differences among people and reveals the reality – and unreality – of race. The story of race is complex and may challenge how we think about race and human variation, about the differences and similarities among people.
- Project Implicit https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/ Project Implicit blends basic research and educational outreach in a virtual laboratory at which visitors can examine their own hidden biases. Project Implicit is the product of research by three scientists whose work produced a new approach to understanding of attitudes, biases, and stereotypes.The Project Implicit site has been functioning as a hands-on science museum exhibit, allowing web visitors to experience the manner in which human minds display the effects of stereotypic and prejudicial associations acquired from their socio-cultural environment.
- ***The Education Trust http://www2.edtrust.org/edtrust/dtm/ The Education Trust works for the high academic achievement of all students at all levels, pre-kindergarten through college, and forever closing the achievement gaps that separate low-income students and students of color from other youth. Our basic tenet is this — All children will learn at high levels when they are taught to high levels.
- NAME http://www.nameorg.org/ NAME is an organization that brings together individuals and groups with an interest in multicultural education from all levels of education, different academic disciplines and from diverse educational institutions and occupations.
- Race: The Power of an Illusion http://www.pbs.org/race/000_General/000_00-Home.htm This site is an online companion to California Newsreels 3 part documentary about race in society,science and history.
- Rethinking Schools http://www.rethinkingschools.org/ Founded in 1986 by activist teachers, Rethinking Schools is a nonprofit, independent publisher of educational materials. Rethinking Schools advocates the reform of elementary and secondary education, with a strong emphasis on issues of equity and social justice.
- Teaching For Change http://www.teachingforchange.org/ Teaching for Change provides teachers and parents with the tools to transform schools into centers of justice where students learn to read, write and change the world.
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development: This is an all-purpose site with many resources here related to research and current strategies and technologies for staff development.