What support is being provided to students for college application process in the Watkins Mill Cluster? What is the status of the college/career information coordinator position in the cluster?
The College/Career Information Coordinator (CCIC) and school counselors conduct workshops, meet with students individually and in classrooms to review the college application process throughout the school year and over the summer. Additionally, financial aid information is provided during the fall through small group review sessions, presentations by special guests knowledgeable about this topic, and hands-on one-on-one support for students/families to complete the financial aid process. School Counselors also provide information sessions during Back-To-School Night to re-emphasize everyone’s role in the college application process to make sure all documents are completed in a timely fashion.
Interviews have been conducted and a candidate has been selected for the CCIC position at Watkins Mill High School. The new CCIC will begin on Wednesday, February 1, 2017. To support the school counseling office, the Office of Student and Family Support and Engagement (OSFSE) has provided the resource counselor (RC) with information and guidance on immediate tasks that are completed by the CCIC.
Additional support will be provided for the new CCIC as follows:
- OSFSE will assign two CCIC mentors to provide support on a regular basis throughout the school year.
- The mentors will meet with the new CCIC before or after each CCIC meeting this year to review events and requirements for the upcoming month.
- The secondary school counseling specialist will meet with the CCIC to provide an overview of the position, responsibilities, meeting dates, events, etc.
- The secondary school counseling specialist will introduce the new CCIC to mentors and provide contact information.
- The secondary school counseling specialist will meet with the RC and CCIC to determine if additional support is required to meet the unique needs of Watkins Mill High School. (ACES, College Tracks, etc.)