Board of Education All-day Business Meeting
May 08, 2012
Watch Meeting by Agenda Item
Full Agenda (PDF)
- Acknowledgement of a Quorum
- Approval of the Agenda
The Board of Education approved the following resolutions:
- A resolution honoring May 7-11 as the period for the 27th annual Salute to School Food and Nutrition Services Personnel Day
- A resolution recognizing the recipients of scholarships from the Montgomery County Branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP)
- A resolution recognizing Pupil Personnel Worker Week.
- Public Comments
- Board/Superintendent Comments
The Board of Education heard a presentation on the continued implementation of Curriculum 2.0, which also has been known as the elementary integrated curriculum. The new curriculum integrates content areas and emphasizes the development of critical thinking and academic success skills that help students learn to creatively solve problems, collaborate, analyze complex data and make important connections.
The curriculum has been implemented in grades K-1 in all schools and in most schools in grade 2. Plans for the 2012-2013 school year include a rollout in grade 3, the implementation of standards-based report cards for grades K-3, and the development of an electronic grade book. Read the Board memo
- Consent items
- Human Resources and Development
The Board of Education approved the following administrative appointments:
- Sito Narcisse, currently headmaster, The English High School, Boston Public Schools, as director of school performance, Office of School Support and Improvement
- Elizabeth L. Thomas, currently principal, Kingsview Middle School, as director of school performance, Office of School Support and Improvement
- Michael J. Zarchin, currently acting director of school performance, Office of School Support and Improvement, as director of school performance, Office of School Support and Improvement
- Dr. Laura P. Newton, currently supervisor, School Counseling Services Unit, as director, School Counseling, Residency, and International Admissions
- Stephen C. Whiting, currently principal, Rocky Hill Middle School, as director, Middle School Instruction and Achievement, Office of Curriculum and Instructional Programs
- Karalee C. Turner-Little, currently staff development teacher, Northwest High School, as executive assistant to the deputy superintendent, Office of School Support and Improvement
- Alison L. Serino, currently principal, A. Mario Loiederman Middle School, as principal, Westland Middle School
- Kristine A. Alexander, currently acting principal, Rock View Elementary School, as principal, Rock View Elementary School
- Dina E. Brewer, currently principal intern, Sherwood Elementary School, as principal, Sherwood Elementary School
- Naming of Downcounty Consortium Elementary School #29
The Board of Education unanimously of those present voted to name a new Downcounty elementary school after Flora M. Singer. Mrs. Singer, who died in 2009, was a Holocaust survivor, teacher, author and longtime Montgomery County resident. The naming process for the school began in February with the Board of Education suggesting four names and asking that a committee be formed to consider those names, as well as other suggestions from the community.
The committee was chaired by Kyle Heatwole, the principal of the new school, and included community members and parents of students who will attend the school. The School Naming Committee recommended six names, with Flora M. Singer Elementary School as the top choice. The other names under consideration were Forest Glen Elementary School, Josiah Henson Elementary School, Susan Niebur Elementary School, Mary McLeod Bethune Elementary School and Charles Gilchrist Elementary School.
Under Board Policy FFA, the final decision is made by the Board of Education. Flora M. Singer Elementary School is scheduled to open in August 2012. Read the Board memo
- Preliminary Plans—Clarksburg Cluster ES (Clarksburg Village Site #1)
The Board approved preliminary plans for a new elementary school in the Clarksburg cluster.
- Preliminary Plans—Waters Landing ES Addition Project
The Board approved preliminary plans for an addition at Waters Landing Elementary School
- Monthly Financial Report
- Board of Education Items
The Board adopted tools that will be used to evaluate the performance of Superintendent Joshua P. Starr and for the Board to evaluate itself. The superintendent will be evaluated on seven standards—Leadership and District Culture; Policy and Governance; Communications and Community Engagement; Organizational Management; Instructional Leadership; Talent Management and Values and Ethics of Leadership.
The Board of Education will conduct a self-evaluation on seven performance criteria – Establish/Promulgate District Vision and Values, Develop and Promulgate Relevant Governing Policies, Monitor Expected Student Achievement Results, Responsible Management of Resources, Community Engagement and Communication, Board Operations, and Building and Sustaining an Effective Relationship with the Superintendent. View the evaluation and self-evaluation tools
- Items of Information
The Board of Education approved a resolution to change its timeline for its Annual Awards for Distinguished Service to Public Education in Montgomery County to facilitate the nomination and recognition of award recipients within the same school year. Beginning in the 2012-2013 school year, the Board will hold its award ceremony in the spring rather than in the fall.
The Board also:
- Formally accepted addition projects at Brookhaven, Fairland, Fox Chapel and Harmony Hills elementary schools
- Appointed architects to conduct feasibility studies for additions at Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School and Diamond Elementary School
This meeting is streamed in Windows Media format.
Get Windows Media
How to Watch by Agenda Item
Internet Explorer: Click on an agenda item to go to that segment of the video.
- Click on agenda item
- Click on "Watch Now" button to view video of that item (Internet Explorer only)
- Summary will appear if available
- To hide summary, click agenda item again
Firefox/Opera: Right click on the video player, select file markers, and then choose
the segment you want to watch.
Mac Users: In stand-alone player, select view, file markers, and choose the segment you want to watch.
Technical problems: Contact Webmaster
Feedback: Tell us what you think