Board of Education Meeting: July 25, 2011
Watch Meeting by Agenda Item
- Full Agenda (PDF)
- Approval of the Agenda
- Public Comments
- Board/Superintendent Comments
- Consent Items
- Human Resources
The Board approved the appointments of the following administrators:
- Donna S. Hollingshead, currently executive director, Office of the Deputy Superintendent of Schools, as community superintendent for the Winston Churchill, Richard Montgomery, Rockville, Poolesville, and Thomas S. Wootton Clusters, Office of School Performance
- Beth Schiavino-Narvaez, currently assistant superintendent/chief academic officer, Springfield Public Schools, Springfield, MA, as community superintendent for the Northeast Consortium and Sherwood Cluster, Office of School Performance
- Marcia S. Vogel, currently general manager, communications, Houston Independent School District, Houston, Texas, as supervisor of special projects, Office of Communications
- Jae W. Hwang, currently social studies team leader, grade 8, White Oak Middle School, as administrative assistant to the chief technology officer, Office of the Chief Technology Officer
- Nancy A. Lucas, currently assistant principal, Burning Tree Elementary School, as coordinator, Preschool Education Program
- Adrienne L. Karamihas, currently capital budget manager, Department of Facilities Management, as budget and operations manager, Department of Facilities Management
- L. Vicky Lake-Parcan, currently director, Middle School Instruction and Achievement, as principal, Neelsville Middle School
- Arthur Williams, currently principal, Francis C. Hammond Middle School 2, Alexandria City Public School, as principal, Forest Oak Middle School
- Wanda P. Coates, currently assistant principal, Dr. Sally K. Ride Elementary School, as principal, S. Christa McAuliffe Elementary School
- Resolution for Community Montessori Charter School Application
The Board of Education, by vote of 6 to 2, approved the application of Crossway Community Montessori to open a public charter school in Montgomery County. The application is subject to the satisfactory completion of interior modifications for space reconfiguration and a kitchen upgrade, compliance with all legal requirements applicable to the facility, and is also contingent upon successful negotiation of the charter agreement. Read the Resolution
- Strategic Plan - Our Call to Action: Pursuit of Excellence
The Board's strategic plan, Our Call to Action: Pursuit of Excellence, emphasizes the development of productive partnerships for education through a variety of strategies, including welcoming all families into the school community; communicating effectively; supporting student success; speaking up for children; sharing power and collaborating with the community.
The 2011-2016 revisions reflect a restructuring of Goal 3- Strengthen Productive Partnerships for Education with specific goals to develop and support greater home and school partnerships. The specific goals include items such as ensuring a welcoming environment in every school, teaching parents how to be advocates for their children and building the capacity of staff to develop meaningful family engagement practices.
Further, there were minor tweaks to strategies and initiatives in Goals 1, 2, 4, and 5, and several cost-neutral strategies aimed at improving systems, structures, and processes that have contributed to the district's success over the past 12 years. Read the Resolution
- Board of Education Items
This meeting is streamed in Windows Media format.
Get Windows Media
How to Watch by Agenda Item
Internet Explorer: Click on an agenda item to go to that segment of the video.
- Click on agenda item
- Click on "Watch Now" button to view video of that item (Internet Explorer only)
- Summary will appear if available
- To hide summary, click agenda item again
Firefox/Opera: Right click on the video player, select file markers, and then choose
the segment you want to watch.
Mac Users: In stand-alone player, select view, file markers, and choose the segment you want to watch. Launch stand-alone player
Technical problems: Contact Webmaster
Feedback: Tell us what you think
UpdatAugust 9, 2011--> | Maintained by Web Services