Board of Education Meeting: May 10, 2011
Watch Meeting by Agenda Item
- Click on agenda item
- Click on "Watch Now" button to view video of that item (Internet Explorer only)
- Summary will appear if available
- To hide summary, click agenda item again
- Full Agenda (PDF)
- Approval of the Agenda; Salute to School Food and Nutrition Service Personnel Day; Recognition of NAACP Scholarship Recipients; Pupil Personnel Worker Week ; In Appreciation of Dr. James E. Cronin
The Board approved the following resolutions:
- The Board recognized May 4, 2011 as Salute to School Food and Nutrition Service Personnel Day (PDF) in Montgomery County Public Schools
- The Board recognized the NAACP Scholarship Recipients (PDF)
- The Board recognized May 15-21, 2011 as Pupil Personnel Worker Week (PDF) in Montgomery County Public Schools
- The Board honored the life of Dr. James E. Cronin (PDF)
- Public Comments
- Board/Superintendent Comments
- Appointment of the Superintendent of Schools and Contract Approval
The Board officially appointed Dr. Joshua P. Starr as the next Superintendent of Schools for Montgomery County Public Schools and unanimously approved a four-year contract. On July 1, Dr. Starr will succeed Dr. Jerry D. Weast, who is retiring after 12 years as MCPS superintendent.
On April 25, 2011, the Board conditionally appointed Dr. Starr, pending agreement on an employment contract and the approval of the State Superintendent of Schools, as required by Maryland law. State Superintendent Nancy S. Grasmick has approved Dr. Starr's credentials and Dr. Starr signed his contract on May 11.
Under the terms of the contract, Dr. Starr will earn a salary of $250,000 per year and will also receive $35,000 in deferred compensation as well as a contribution of $18,750 toward his retirement. Dr. Starr also will receive other benefits including health, disability and life insurance, moving expenses and the use of a vehicle.
- Innovations in Family Engagement
The Board discussed Montgomery County Public Schools' efforts to engage parents and community members, and create a welcoming environment in all schools.
The Board heard presentations by MCPS staff and parents who are involved in a variety of strategies to create connections between schools and the community and provide parents with useful strategies to be strong advocates for their students.
The Board's strategic plan, Our Call to Action: Pursuit of Excellence, emphasizes the development of productive partnerships for education through a variety of strategies, including welcoming all families into the school community; communicating effectively; supporting student success; speaking up for children; sharing power and collaborating with the community.
- Consent Items
- Human Resources and Development
- Monthly Financial Report
- Board of Education Policies
The Board took Tentative Action on Board Policy ACG: Access to Services, Programs, and Activities by Individuals with Disabilities (PDF). Changes are being recommended to Policy ACGto reflect the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act of 2008 and to include relevant portions of Policy GBH, Employment of Individuals with Disabilities.
The Board made non-substantive changes to three policies (PDF): Policy IQD (Academic Eligibility for Extracurricular Activities), Policy JED (Residency, Tuition, and Enrollment), and Policy GIJ (Operation Fund Investments).
- Board of Education Items
- Items of Information
This meeting is streamed in Windows Media format.
Get Windows Media
Internet Explorer: Click on an agenda item to go to that segment of the video.
Firefox/Opera: Right click on the video player, select file markers, and then choose the segment you want to watch.
Mac Users: In stand-alone player, select view, file markers, and choose the segment you want to watch. Launch stand-alone player
Technical problems: Contact Webmaster
Feedback: Tell us what you think
Updated May 12, 2011 | Maintained by Web Services