Board of Education Meeting: March 8, 2011
Watch Meeting by Agenda Item
- Click on agenda item
- Click on "Watch Now" button to view video of that item (Internet Explorer only)
- Summary will appear if available
- To hide summary, click agenda item again
- Full Agenda (PDF)
- Approval of the Agenda
- Public Comments
- Items of Legislation
The Board of Education discussed several pieces of legislation currently being considered by the Maryland state legislature which would affect Montgomery County Public Schools. Bills discussed relate to charter schools; construction/maintenance; fiscal; human resources; reporting; student curriculum, enrollment, and health; transportation; and other areas. Read the superintendent’s recommendations
- Board/Superintendent Comments
- Update on Superintendent Search
The Board received an update on the search for the next superintendent of Montgomery County Public Schools. Superintendent Jerry D. Weast is retiring on June 30, 2011. Board President Christopher Barclay urged residents to stay informed by visiting the Board’s Superintendent Search website
- Innovations in Technology
The Board received and discussed an update on the innovative use of technology throughout Montgomery County Public Schools (MCPS) and reviewed challenges in ensuring that all students and staff can benefit from technology innovations.
Changes in digital content are creating shifts in the way teachers are teaching, students are learning, and the school system is providing business and other key services. Appropriate budgetary support will be needed to continue integrating technologies across all aspects of the school system and building the capacity of users.
The presentation included a demonstration of current classroom technology. Read the Board update
- Consent Items
Lease Agreement—Brickyard Road Site: The Board agreed to enter into a lease agreement with Montgomery County concerning property the Board owns on Brickyard Road in Potomac. Montgomery County Executive Isiah “Ike” Leggett has expressed interest in creating additional ball fields on the site for community use. The county will begin the process of getting the necessary permits and public input on the site.
Facilities Action: The Board took the following actions related to facilities:
- Extended contractual agreements to provide professional architectural and engineering services as requirements arise for relocatable classroom moves.
- Awarded contracts for the initial construction phase of the Gaithersburg High School modernization project, contingent on the County Council’s approval of the FY 2012 Capital Budget.
- Approved engineering appointments for the heating, ventilation, and air conditioning replacement program.
- Authorized the execution of a conservation easement agreement for land at Herbert Hoover Middle School with the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission.
- Human Resources
- Monthly Financial Report
- Preliminary Plans
The Board approved preliminary plans for the Darnestown Elementary School and Viers Mill Elementary School addition projects.
- Tentative Action, Policy IOD, Education of English Language Learners
The Board gave tentative approval to revised Policy IOD, Education of English Language Learners.
The policy reaffirms the education of English language learners as a high priority for MCPS and ensures compliance with federal and state mandates regarding the education of English language learners. It identifies ESOL as the specific program to be provided to eligible English language learners and identifies specific skill areas to be developed. The policy will be sent out for public comment.
- Board of Education Items
- Items of Information
This meeting is streamed in Windows Media format.
Get Windows Media
Internet Explorer: Click on an agenda item to go to that segment of the video.
Firefox/Opera: Right click on the video player, select file markers, and then choose the segment you want to watch.
Mac Users: In stand-alone player, select view, file markers, and choose the segment you want to watch. Launch stand-alone player
Technical problems: Contact Webmaster
Feedback: Tell us what you think
Updated March 15, 2011 | Maintained by Web Services