Board of Education Meeting: February 28, 2011
Watch Meeting by Agenda Item
- Click on agenda item
- Click on "Watch Now" button to view video of that item (Internet Explorer only)
- Summary will appear if available
- To hide summary, click agenda item again
Full Agenda (PDF)
- Approval of the Agenda; Women’s History Month Recognition of Educators Who Earned Certification from the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards in 2010
The Board recognized 71 MCPS educators who received certification from the National Board of Professional Teaching Standards. MCPS has a total of 584 teachers who have attained National Board certification and ranks 12th nationally in terms of the number of Board-certified teachers. Read the resolution (PDF)
The Board of Education passed a resolution recognizing March as Women’s History Month in Montgomery County Public Schools. Read the resolution (PDF)
- Public Comments
- Board/Superintendent Comments
- Consent Items
- The Board of Education approved feasibility studies for modernization projects at three schools:
- Brown Station Elementary School (PDF)
- Seneca Valley High School (PDF)
- Wheaton Woods Elementary School (PDF)
The Board approved a conservation agreement (PDF) with the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission at the site of a new elementary school to be built in the McKenney Hills neighborhood. See the Board item.
- Work Session: Recommendation for Thomas Edison High School of Technology and Wheaton High School Modernization
The Board discussed the superintendent’s recommendation for a planned modernization project of Wheaton and Edison high schools, which currently share a single building The Board approved two alternatives to the superintendent’s recommendation (PDF) that will be considered:
- Alternative 1: That Edison and Wheaton be constructed as separate buildings on the site of the current shared facility, with separate identifiable structures using education specifications that are appropriate to the separate and independent missions of the two schools.
- Alternative 2: That a single facility be constructed so as to have a portion meet the educational specifications for Wheaton and a portion meet the educational specifications for Edison, with shared facilities as appropriate, but that the two schools have separate and identifiable spaces and entrances.
A public hearing on the superintendent’s recommendation and the Board alternatives will be held on March 15, at 7 p.m., in the auditorium of the Carver Educational Services Center, 850 Hungerford Drive, Rockville, MD 20850. More information on the hearing. The Board is expected to take action on a recommendation on March 28.
- Board of Education Items
- The Board discussed several pieces of legislation (PDF) currently being considered by the Maryland state legislature, covering a wide array of school programs and operations, including facilities, fiscal matters, curriculum and more. NOTE: Due to technical error, the end of the meeting was not recorded.
This meeting is streamed in Windows Media format.
Get Windows Media
Internet Explorer: Click on an agenda item to go to that segment of the video.
Firefox/Opera: Right click on the video player, select file markers, and then choose the segment you want to watch.
Mac Users: In stand-alone player, select view, file markers, and choose the segment you want to watch. Launch stand-alone player
Technical problems: Contact Webmaster
Feedback: Tell us what you think
Updated March 8, 2011 | Maintained by Web Services