Board of Education Meeting: June 28, 2010
Watch Meeting by Agenda Item
- Click on agenda item
- Click on "Watch Now" button to view video of that item (Internet Explorer only)
- Summary will appear if available
- To hide summary, click agenda item again
Full Agenda (PDF)
- Approval of the Agenda; Recognition of Vietnamese Scholars
Recognition of Vietnamese Scholars: On behalf of the superintendent, schools, staff, students, and parents, the Board congratulated recipients of the 2010 Maryland Vietnamese Mutual Association academic awards and scholarships. The association awarded $1,000 scholarships for outstanding academic achievement to Marie-Estelle Pham of James Hubert Blake High School and Ngoc Ly, Gaithersburg High School.
- Public Comments
- Board/Superintendent Comments
- Consent Items
Tuition for Nonresident Students for FY 2011: The Board approved a slightly reduced tuition rate for nonresident students for Fiscal Year 2011. Rate calculation is based on the approved operating budget, cost of debt service, and current revenue funding for the capital budget. FY 2011 rates are $13,853 for elementary students (including kindergarten), $13,452 for secondary and $30,161 for special education, depending on the cost requirements for implementing the IEP.
Recommended FY 2011 Fees for the Food and Nutrition Services Program: The Board maintained the current prices for breakfast and lunch meals for the 2010-2011 school year, with the exception of reduced-price breakfast, which will be free. Last school year, the reduced-price breakfast cost 30 cents. Fees for FY 2011 are:
- Reduced-price breakfast—Free
- Reduced-price lunch—$0.40
- Elementary lunch—$2.50
- Secondary lunch—$2.75
- Human Resources Appointments
The Board approved the appointments of the following administrators:
- Lynne Zarate, currently team leader, Environment Services/Indoor Air Quality, Division of Maintenance, as assistant director, Division of Maintenance
- William J. Prather, currently acting coordinator, Division of ESOL/Bilingual Programs, as coordinator, Division of ESOL/Bilingual Programs
- Christopher S. Berry, currently assistant principal, James Hubert Blake High School, as principal, James Hubert Blake High School
- Scott W. Murphy, currently principal, William H. Farquhar Middle School, as principal, Watkins Mill High School
- Shahid Muhammad, currently principal, Galway Elementary School, as principal Waters Landing Elementary School
- Carl Baskerville, currently director, Curriculum Training and Development, Office of Organizational Development, as principal, Brown Station Elementary School
- Renee A. Foose, currently director, Office of Shared Accountability, as Associate Superintendent, Office of Shared Accountability
- Andrew J. Winter, currently principal, Greencastle Elementary School, as principal, Lucy V. Barnsley Elementary School
- Marc J. Cohen, currently principal, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Middle School as principal, Seneca Valley High School
- Kathleen M. Heinrich, currently acting assistant director, Division of Food and Nutrition Services, as assistant director, Division of Food and Nutrition Services
- Brenda L. Wilks, currently assistant principal, Watkins Mill High School, as director, Department of Student Services
- Michael J. Zarchin, currently principal, Thomas W. Pyle Middle School, as consulting principal, Office of Human Resources and Development
- Strategic Plan: Our Call to Action: Pursuit of Excellence
- The Board of Education approved revisions to the school system’s 2010-2015 strategic plan, Our Call to Action: Pursuit of Excellence.
- Board of Education Items
The plan reflects the goals and academic priorities of the Board of Education and a shared commitment to raise the bar for student achievement and close the gap in student performance by race and ethnicity and among students impacted by disabilities, limited English proficiency, and poverty.
Because of the difficult economic climate, the plan includes no new initiatives but maintains a commitment to the systems, structures, and processes that have contributed to outstanding teaching and learning over the past decade.
The strategic plan reinforces reform initiatives that have been implemented since 1999. The Seven Keys to College Readiness guides school staff and parents to ensure that all students achieve at high levels.
This meeting is streamed in Windows Media format.
Get Windows Media
Internet Explorer: Click on an agenda item to go to that segment of the video.
Firefox/Opera: Right click on the video player, select file markers, and then choose the segment you want to watch.
Mac Users: In stand-alone player, select view, file markers, and choose the segment you want to watch. Launch stand-alone player
Technical problems: Contact Webmaster
Feedback: Tell us what you think
Updated June 30, 2010 | Maintained by Web Services