Board of Education Meeting: June 22, 2009
Watch Meeting by Agenda Item
- Click on agenda item
- Click on "Watch Now" button to view video of that item (Internet Explorer only)
- Summary will appear if available
- To hide summary, click agenda item again
Full Agenda (PDF)
- Approval of the Agenda, Recognition of Vietnamese Scholars
The Board congratulated recipients of this year’s Maryland Vietnamese Mutual Association academic awards and scholarships.
The association recognized 159 MCPS students for excellence in academic performance, leadership skills, and community involvement and awarded $1,000 scholarships for academic achievement to two students: Lin Huynh, Albert Einstein High School; and Kim Xuan Nguyen, Montgomery Blair High School.
- Public Comments
- Board/Superintendent Comments
- Consent Items
- Human Resources Appointments
The Board approved the appointment of six new MCPS administrators, including two new school principals:
- Casey B. Crouse, currently principal intern, Argyle Middle School, as principal, Eastern Middle School
- Cheryl L. Smith, currently principal intern, Clearspring Elementary School, as principal, Strathmore Elementary School
- Sylvia Morrison, currently principal, Northwest High School, as director, Department of Instructional Programs
- Philip A. Lynch, currently acting supervisor, Division of School-based Special Education Services, as supervisor, Division of School-based Special Education Services
- Charlene M. Parilla, currently instructional specialist, Division of School-based Special Education Services, as supervisor, Division of School-based Special Education Services
- Ellen L. Schaefer, currently director, Division of School-based Special Education Services, Office of Special Education and Student Services, as coordinator, Montgomery County Infants and Toddlers Program
Appointments to Montgomery County Collaboration Board for Career and Technology Education
The Board approved appointments to the Montgomery County Collaboration Board for Career and Technology Education, subject to the concurrence of the Montgomery College Board of Trustees, which makes the appointments of nominees to the 11 Career Cluster Advisory Boards jointly with Montgomery County Public Schools.
Appointments are for a one-year term, beginning July 1 and ending June 30, 2010. Thomas DeGonia (formerly president of the Law, Government, Public Safety, and Administration Cluster Advisory Board) will continue as president of the Collaboration Board for Career and Technology Education for a term due to expire June 30, 2010.
- Strategic Plans - Our Call to Action: Pursuit of Excellence
The Montgomery County Board of Education approved the annual revisions to the school system’s strategic plan, Our Call to Action: Pursuit of Excellence.
The updates to the 2009–2010 strategic plan include the Board’s revision of the core values to highlight MCPS’s commitment to viewing all students as unique learners and doing whatever it takes to ensure that every child learns and succeeds, regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, limited English proficiency, socioeconomic status, or disability.
The revised strategic plan also includes a new Framework for Equity and Excellence, aimed at ensuring there is a firm commitment to high standards and expectations for all students. The plan reinforces initiatives to raise the bar for student achievement and close the gap in student performance.
The Seven Keys to College readiness, a trajectory of high standards, guide school staff and parents to ensure that all students achieve at high levels.
- Board of Education Items
This meeting is streamed in Windows Media format.
Get Windows Media
Internet Explorer: Click on an agenda item to go to that segment of the video.
Firefox/Opera: Right click on the video player, select file markers, and then choose the segment you want to watch.
Mac Users: In stand-alone player, select view, file markers, and choose the segment you want to watch. Contact Webmaster
Feedback: Tell us what you think
UpdateJune 30, 2009 | Maintained by Web Services