Board of Education Meeting: May 13, 2008
Watch Meeting by Agenda Item
- Click on agenda item
- Click on Watch Now button to view video of that item
- Summary will appear if available
- To hide summary, click agenda item again
Full Agenda (PDF)
- Approval of the Agenda
- Resolutions: Salute to School Food and Nutrition Services Personnel Day; Recognition of NAACP Scholarship Recipients
Salute to School Food and Nutrition Services Personnel Day : The Board approved the observance of the twenty-third annual Salute to School Food and Nutrition Services Personnel Day on May 7, 2008, in recognition of the more than 12 million meals that are served annually to Montgomery County school children and the dedication of staff to feeding and educating students.
Recognition of NAACP Scholarship Recipients: The Board recognized the seven students who received $1,000 scholarships from the Montgomery County Branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. The students and their high schools are: Robert Austin Alexander, Montgomery Blair; James Nanakow Afful, Watkins Mill; Sasini Samidya Bentota, Wheaton; Heba Elnaiem, Richard Montgomery; Brittany Fennell, James Hubert Blake; Rahel Kifle, Quince Orchard; and NanaYaa Y. Misa, Bethesda-Chevy Chase.
- Public Comments
- Board/Superintendent Comments
- Update on HSA Bridge Plan Implementation
The Board discussed an update on the implementation of the High School Assessment (HSA) Bridge Plan and ways that the school system is working to comply with the required components of the plan. The Bridge Plan, approved by the State Board of Education, is an alternate way to pass the HSA, consisting of project modules addressing specific content areas of the assessments. It is designed to help students having difficulty passing the HSA meet this graduation requirement beginning with the Class of 2009. The Board decided to write a letter to the new members of the Maryland State Board of Education outlining its concerns about the HSAs.
- Consent Items
Site Selection for the Clarksburg/Damascus Middle School and Clarksburg Cluster Elementary School: The Requested FY 2009-2014 Capital Improvements Program includes a facility planning project to determine feasibility, scope and cost for a new middle school in the Clarksburg/Damascus cluster and a new elementary school to serve students in the Clarksburg cluster. The Board selected two sites to undergo the feasibility studies: the Arora Hills site at the intersection of Skylark and Ridge roads in Clarksburg for the Clarksburg/Damascus Middle School, and the Clarksburg Village #1 park/school parcel for the Clarksburg Cluster Elementary School.
- Human Resources
The Board approved the following administrative appointments:
- Sean Bulson, currently principal, Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School, as director of school performance, Northwest, Poolesville, Quince Orchard, and Seneca Valley clusters
- Judith L. Pattik, currently acting director, Department of Special Education Operations, as director, Department of Special Education Operations
- Diane M. Mohr, currently supervisor, Division of Title I Programs, as executive assistant, Office of School Performance
- Genevieve L. Floyd, currently acting coordinator, Montgomery College/Montgomery County Public Schools Partnership, as coordinator, Montgomery College/Montgomery County Public Schools Partnership
- Monthly Financial Report
- Preliminary Plans—Cabin John MS Modernization
The Board approved preliminary plans for the modernization of Cabin John Middle School.
- Update on Career and Technology Education Program
The Board discussed some of the transformations in the Career and Technology Education (CTE) program that engage students through real-world connections, provide opportunities to earn industry and professional credentials, and open pathways to high-wage, high-demand professions with potential for career advancement. Students, career program staff, and business partners spoke about the importance and relevance of the opportunities provided by CTE, including internships and college credits.
- MABE Presentation and Dialogue
The Board engaged in a dialogue with Dr. Carl W. Smith, Executive Director, and Sandra L. Barry, President of the Maryland Association of Boards of Education, about the work of the association on behalf of quality education in Maryland.
- Board of Education Items
- Items of Information
Updated May 20, 2008 | Maintained by Web Services